Paul Please

"Mama who she?"

"Hush Charlie, let her sleep."

"But I wanna know her name!"

"That's Y/N, your uncle Paul's girlfriend. Now let her sleep. She's tired, she needs rest," H/N said.

My eyes fluttered open as I realized it was her speaking and sat up, looking at the little boy standing next to the couch I had been sleeping on in surprise. He let out a startled yelp, running over to H/N and hiding behind her. She gave me a gentle smile, scooping up her son in her arms.

"Good morning hon. How're you feeling?" she asked.

I let out a sigh before stumbling to my feet.

"Do you know where he is?"

"He's in your room. Are you up to talking to him?" she asked.

"I want to," I said, getting angry all over again.

She set down her son, ushering him off, and he scampered out of the room.

"Are you sure you're able to? I don't want you to get too emotional."

I nodded, looking at the door.

"I'm able to. I need to."

There was a pause before I gave her a hug.

"Thank you for all the help," I said.

H/N smiled, hugging me back.

"Of course dear. Anything you need, any help you need at all, just ask."

With a faint smile, I let go of her, saying goodbye and heading to my room. Paul looked up as soon as I walked into the room, rising to his feet and opening his mouth to talk, but I cut him off.

"Why would you leave me?!" I shouted. "I didn't ask to be pregnant! I don't want to be pregnant! I'm terrified of having a baby! And you react by getting angry and leaving?!"

There was a pause as he stared at me before he sat down on the edge of his bed, burying his face in his hands and starting to cry.

"Don't expect to get sympathy from me," I snapped.

"I'm sorry. I'm just scared," he murmured. "I'm not ready to be a father, to have that responsibility. I don't want to have a baby."

"I don't either," I said after a pause, and he lifted his head.

"Then why are we going to?"

"I'm not going to get rid of it," I snapped.

"I'm not saying to. Not like that. But maybe...maybe we should give it up for adoption. Eric and Bruce have said they want a kid. We could give it to them to raise, that way we still are in its life, we don't give it up entirely to a foster care system," he said.

I froze, staring at him.

"What?" I asked after a pause.

He rose to his feet, putting his hands on my shoulders, massaging my arms gently.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry for how I reacted last night. That was so unfair of me, so hurtful and mean and I had no reason for that. I'm scared, Y/N. I'm absolutely terrified. I'm not ready to be a father, and you're even younger than I am. I'm sorry this happened. I never meant for it to, I should've been more careful. I'm sorry I've done this to you."

"You're 32. You should have been more composed. You're supposed to be the responsible one," I said in a hurt voice.

He wrapped me in a hug, stroking my hair as he held me.

"I'm sorry," he murmured. "I'm so sorry for what I said to you. I was scared, I am scared, and I just lashed out. I turned my fear into anger and took it out on you and on all of them. But that's no excuse. There is no excuse. I'm sorry, I just never expected this."

"I didn't either. I don't want to have a baby now. Not when I'm so young. I don't want that responsibility, I'm not ready for it. And...and I don't want our relationship to change," I whispered.

Paul kissed me softly on the cheek, putting a hand on my face and running a thumb along my skin.

"I know. I don't want that either. And I'm scared too. Babe I'm fucking terrified."

"But I don't want to give away our baby and then regret it," I murmured, dropping my gaze.

He gently lifted my face toward his.

"Listen, listen to me babe. We'll take things slow, alright? If...if we both decide we want to keep the baby, then we'll keep it. I know what I said and did yesterday, but I promise I won't leave you. And I'm sorry for how I reacted yesterday. I wish I could undo that, take back the words I said to you. I don't blame you for this at all. It's my fault. I should've been careful, I should've thought things through. I won't leave you. Please don't leave me either," he said in a soft voice.

I closed my eyes, resting my forehead against his, putting my hands on my belly.

"I won't. I'm just scared."

"I know. I am too. But we'll be okay. We've got each other, we've got a potential solution. We'll be okay. I won't leave you. And I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I was scared too. I didn't react well either. But it's okay. We've both had a chance to calm down."

He gave me a soft kiss, holding me gently in his arms.

"We have. Do you want to talk with Eric and Bruce about adopting it?" he asked, putting a hand on my belly.

"Tomorrow. I just want to sleep right now," I said weakly.

He nodded, gently running a hand through my hair, kissing me tenderly. I melted into the embrace, feeling finally soothed, even if it was only slightly. He took my hand, leading me back to our room. He tucked me into the bed gently, before lying next to me.

"Can I hold you?" he asked.

"Please," I murmured, rolling over and clinging to him.

He held me just as tightly, stroking my hair and letting me bury my face in his chest.

"I'm sorry for yesterday. It was wrong, I have no excuse for how I spoke to you."

"I forgive you. I'm scared too," I said.

He gave me another kiss, holding me still.

"We'll figure things out. It'll be okay."

I just cling to him tighter, hoping desperately he was right.