winter anniversary [6:24 p.m.]

You shiver by the fireplace, painfully rubbing your hands together in an attempt to warm your freezing fingers. Bringing your hands to your face, you breathe into them, bringing a moment of warm comfort. Enjoying the blissful quiet of the crackling fireplace, you gasp as a loud knock comes from the door.

He's here

Your lips break out into a wide grin and you jump up to let him in. Swinging the door open, the biting air and harsh wind immediately wipes the smile off your face. With narrowed eyes you usher Mark in quickly, shivering at the freezing air.

"HAHAHA y/n your face!" the Canadian boy laughs as he steps inside and closes the door.

The two of you decided to go on a weekend trip to celebrate your one year anniversary. Although you weren't picky about how you spent it (as long as you're with him you're happy right?) but this was less than ideal for you. Mark really wanted to visit Canada and "share his favorite place with his favorite person", so how could you not agree?

"Mark, I'm cold," you state flatly, trying to make him feel bad for leaving for a whole hour in this log cabin to get hot coco from the store. You hugged at your thick cable-knit sweater and sniffed indignantly.

Mark giggled at the sight, unzipping his coat and setting it on the nearest chair.

"My baby's cold? What should I do...?" he taunted reaching out his fingers, wiggling them teasingly.

"No... you wouldn't," you feigned terror as you backed away from him, suppressing a smile.

Mark leaps forward and buries his fingers into your sweater, tickling your tummy with his icy hands. You writhe with laughter as you fight to get away from his attacking fingers.

"Stop! Stop!" you screech and fall to the floor with laughter, Mark following suit, not giving up so easily.

You finally wrestle your way out of his grip and grab his wrists, both of you dying with laughter as you lay there together on the floor.

Finally calming down, you let go of his wrists and lay your head down on his chest, the soft material of his sweater warm against your cheek. Mark sighs contentedly and you close your eyes, listening to his rhythmic heartbeat. He wraps his arms around your waist and you put a leg over his thighs, just he way he likes it. Everything was suddenly calm, something that often happened between you two; one minute you're laughing and screaming and the other you're silent, enjoying each other's company and basking in your love for the other.

He was so warm that for a minute, you forgot that you were stuck in a cheap Airbnb in the Canadian wilderness. You fiddled with the button on the collar of his sweater and listened to the crackling of the fireplace as it syncopated with the rhythm of your love's breathing.

"Happy Anniversary y/n," Mark mumbles suddenly, the deep vibrations of his voice rumble against your cheek, "thanks for coming with me here. It might not seem great, but this is the place I love and I'm glad you came here with me," he confesses.

You lift up your head to look at the boy you love, his shy, loving eyes peering guiltily at yours, thinking that you didn't like the vacation very much.

You lean down and press a deep kiss on his lips, hoping that it would tell him how much you appreciated it. Cupping his warm cheek with your frozen fingers, you deepen the kiss even more, wanting to be even closer to him. Mark returns the kiss gently, placing his bigger hand on top of yours, feeling how cold they were.

Pulling away slightly, you whisper your reply, "I like being anywhere with you. I'd go to the moon with you if that's what you wanted. You're my favorite place," leaning in for another kiss.

His grip on your waist tightens and moves down to your hips, bringing your body in impossibly closer to his. Your body molded into his like a glove and your hearts fit together perfectly like two halves of a whole.

Stopping to catch his breath, the brown-eyed boy studied your face with all of the love in the world, pressing kisses to your cheeks when he couldn't help himself.

Outside, the wind howled and the snow bore down heavily, freezing anything it touches. But inside that tiny log cabin, two souls met as one and your love was warm enough to melt through even the harshest cold.