Chapter 5

A white tail flashed in front of Truthseeker, white powder spraying the air as he and his prey raced across the slope. His clan needed this rabbit, it would feed three of the warriors. He couldn't afford to let it escape. 

It darted left and right, trying to throw him off it's tail. Only to have him put on a burst of speed and draw closer.  It couldn't escape, it wouldn't escape. 

The rabbit veered down into the gully, aiming directly for the shadowy thickness of the trees. It's burrow had to be in there, which meant he had to catch it before it could reach safety. 

The snow beneath his paws thinned as he passed underneath the trees. Replaced by dirt and leaf-rot, and the scent markers of StrongClan. 

He sprang at the prey, landing on it and sinking his teeth into the back of it's neck as they rolled through the clumps of ferns. Colliding with something that let out a yowl of shock and pain. 

"What in StarClan's furry rumps?" snarled a familiar voice. "What are you doing on our territory?"

He scrambled to his feet, dropping the catch and facing the StrongClan warriors. 

"I was just-"

"Stealing our prey!" Tusscokflame snarled. "And injuring our warriors."

He flicked his ears at Duckcall, who had limped behind him. He had been the one Truthseeker had rolled into. 

"That was an accident!" he protested. "And I'm not stealing prey, I chased it here from the shared territory!"

"According to the Warrior Code, despite the changes that occurred to it when our Clans first settled in this harsh land, you cannot hunt or trespass on another Clan's territory," a black and white tom, Tussockflame's apprentice, piped. 

"I was not hunting your prey! This is from the shared territory!" he spat back. "And you made a deal with the other clans including mine allowing us to use your land!"

"Yeah! To gather bedding and herbs," hissed Duckcall. "The prey on our territory is for us!"

"This is my prey I chased it here. It's only a few tail-lengths over the border! It's no big deal!"

"Nothing is a big deal to you is it?" the yellow deputy growled. "Just like how siding with Jayslash wasn't a big enough deal to have you exiled, or punished in any way!"

Truthseeker felt waves of fury roll forward at this remark. How dare Tussockflame remind him of that horrible time. He did it to protect his brothers, he should have known that since he was there when it happened.

"The past is in the past," he spoke, steeling his anger. "Burnfire was allowed back in SunClan after the second war."

"But Burnfire received punishment," Duckcall reminded. "He was on apprentice duties for moons and swore an oath. You didn't get anything for your crimes."

"So maybe we have to," Tussockflame said quietly.

"What?" 

Before he could gather his wits the deputy barreled into him, knocking him clean off of his paws and allowing him to rake his claws down Truthseeker's belly. Shocked into action he clawed back, dragging his paws down the StrongClan tom's side and leaving shallow red trails.

He felt a strong blow to his head and glimpsed the apprentice joining his mentor. Swinging at his head with both fore-paws. 

Teeth met his throat and he let out a choked cry, flailing his limps to try and push Tussockflame off and escape. Was the yellow tom trying to kill him?

Blood was seeping from the wound, he could smell it, and into his fur. He was light-headed from the blows to his head and the pain. He had to run, he couldn't die to these cats. 

Suddenly the weight vanished, the warriors had subsided. Glaring at him as he got, trembling, to his feet.

"Get out of here prey stealer! Go back to your clan!" Tussockflame spat, his blood on his muzzle. "And next time think twice about messing with us and what is ours!"

Truthseeker broke into a run, ploughing back up the hill. Ignoring the blood still flowing from his throat and leaving behind a thick red trail in the white. 

He had to get home. He had to get home. He had to get home. . .