Chapter 12

Around camp pelts were bushed out, trying their best to block out the cold wind that whistled through the rocks. 

The snow in camp was thin, more of a slippery ice coating the entire place rather than a white powder that they could push out of the way. And inside the dens the bedding had grown thicker as they all tried to stay warm. 

Prey had grown even scarcer, and now they had more mouths to feed. 

Truthseeker looked over at RainClan new warriors. Two strangers found wandering scared and alone across the windswept white hills.

The red tabby tom with the scar over his nose and blue eyes didn't speak much. They suspected it involved a past injury to his throat, since their was a scar running across that as well. But quite made him a good hunter, and he did his best to provide for his clan. He had been named Deerleap. 

The other was a a former kittypet. And a fierce one too. Puffytail had been named a warrior for her fierce fighting skills. She was a very valuable asset to the clan, despite her looks of a pale grey she-cat with brown socks and a collar around her neck. 

The blackbird in his mouth was stiff from the cold. A result of it being leftovers from yesterday's hunt. But he wasn't about to let any prey go to waste.

"Truthseeker!" his brother called. "I need to speak with you!"

"What's wrong?" he asked as he abandoned the remains of his prey to join Dreamstar at the entrance to his den.

"I'm sorry I have to do this to you. . ." the sandy tom apologized, looking away. "But you're no longer deputy."

For a heartbeat he didn't process the words, but when he did shock and disbelief settled in his bones. 

"W-what? Why?"

"I . . . Feel as if it would be better if only I had the power in this clan," Dreamstar replied. "I'm the strongest sibling and I have nine lives. You only have one, and if you die well, that's it. Besides what major role have you actually had to play as deputy?"

"I've been a great deputy!" he protested. "You trust me to organize the hunting patrols and-"

"You did do well with the hunting patrols," the sandy tom agreed. "But you are also at risk of being attacked because you have power, alright? Other clans target the strongest and most powerful members, what happened to you was proof of that. So it's safer if I'm the only one that has any power."

"So I'm weak!" he spat. "You're saying I'm weak and shouldn't get a chance to be powerful!"

"No. I care about you as my brother. So I want to protect you by making me the only target."

"He's demoting you because he wants all the power," another cat growled from behind him, and Saptail padded into view. "It's like you said at that meeting. You don't care about anything in your clan except power."

"That's not-No I. . .It's. . ."

"Really?" Truthseeker demanded. "Your demoting me because you feel like you need more power! What is wrong with you? You're a clan leader! You know what? Fine! Take away my position as deputy! Having it doesn't make me any less of a warrior! You better just hope that StarClan is willing to let you walk whatever twisted path you have chosen!"

*Okay I finally got another chapter out hope it's good enough for you guys* 

Puffytail

Deerleap