Chapter 3: Soulmate

"How is Drageity? Is he up to any good, child?" 

Asmodeus sat down on the chair beside the bed the grandma was lying upon. Her name: 

Morticia. 

"He recently had led a group of a few hundreds of devils to deal with an uprising within Kiraz village. There, he fought against millions yet still won despite being outnumbered. An incredible yet unsurprising feat by father." 

"Oh, well that is incredible indeed. What about the assistant?" 

"Assistant? Of whom?" 

"The-" 

"Ah, you mean Astaroth, don't you?" 

"Ah, yes. I did indeed. So tell me, child, what is he up to?" 

"He is also doing superb. He saved me a few days ago against a member of the same army he in within. He also took out an organization that was created recently. The members of the Diefeel army partook in that organization, and their goal was to eradicate all mansions within our village. They demanded equal housing for all devils, regardless of status. However, that goal was thwarted by Astaroth, who conducted the eradication mission by himself. As a result, the army was wiped out." 

Morticia widened her eyes. 

"Child, do you mind repeating the name of the treacherous army?" 

"Huh? You mean the Diefeel army?" 

"The Diefeel army, you say?" 

"Y-Yes grandma."  

Morticia smiled and closed her eyes, as if reminiscing a bittersweet past. 

"Ah... the Diefeel army. That army was truly the peak of all armies a few billions of years ago... that was when my husband led the charge." 

"Y-Your husband? You mean... grandpa?" 

"Yes, your grandpa. He led the vast army after our marriage, after killing several devils who invaded the marriage in the castle."

"T-The castle!? Marriages were held in the Doomsday castle!?" 

"Yes, indeed they were. This was when a Devil King had not been crowned yet, so no rules were established during those days. Yes, it was quite chaotic. As no laws had been placed, people had no idea what was right nor what was wrong. But... at the same time... it was peaceful." 

Asmodeus lowered his face. 

"It must've been great... without a Devil King. The humans had a free will... unlike now." 

"That is far from the truth, my dear." 

"What?"Asmodeus shot up. 

"You see, at the time... God ruled the devils, and commanded one half of the devils to encourage the acts of benevolence... and the other... the acts of malice." 

 "That's...-" 

God had a chance to encourage the acts of goodness, He had a chance to create peace... but chose not to. The reason baffled Asmodeus. If God was longing for peace, why did He create a Devil King? Why did he not create peace during his rule? 

Or, is there a special reason for this? 

"But why? If God hadn't created a king of Devils... maybe things could be better than it is now." 

"I'm sure there was a reason why he had done so... a very... very special reason..." 

Morticia gazed at the ceiling, as if remembering a single person, "Poor Asmodeus..." 

"What?" 

"Ah, I apologise. I meant a different person. A person with the same name as you." 

"Oh... I see." 

And so, there was silence. The flickering of the candle, the sole thing at can be heard. Both contemplating the future... and the past. What should've, what could've, and for what reason. Does God have any doubts of the path he paved for humanity? What is His true objective? To create peace or abolish it? Why did he create humans if they were only to be controlled? Why did this creator make his creations suffer? 

Is he the creator or the destroyer? 

"Asmodeus, have you the knowledge of a Fallen Angel?" 

"Huh, a Fallen Angel? Hasn't these Fallen Angels fallen from grace, thus gaining such title?" 

"Yes indeed. These Fallen Angels disobeyed their leader, and succumbed to their desires. They are Angels forced to departure from Heaven and upon entering Heaven once again, they shall disintegrate. But thereafter their exit, they are free to roam on earth until a being takes them down. Even despite the fact that Angels cannot communicate with humans, a Fallen Angel is free to do whatever with a mortal on earth. That is as they broke free from the restrictions of an Angel." 

"That's... terrible." 

"Yes, that is why we, devils, must take down these treacherous Angels. Especially the strongest Fallen Angel in existence, on par with our Devil King. No... on par with God Himself. Her name is Lilith." 

"Lilith...?"He had a sudden headache. This headache was worse than that he has ever gotten. Fortunately for him, he had managed to conceal his pain by clenching his fist. 

"You see, Asmodeus. Lilith could be anywhere. She may be in this room. She may be following you or me. We will never know. What we do know is, she will kill all the devils on this underworld after KAZIZAK has broken the seal that has caged him." 

"KAZIZAK? Why?" 

"Why you ask? Well, KAZIZAK and Lilith are enemies. Enemies that have fought in the past... and nearly crushing reality into dust. Their fight had such an impact that God had to intervene with the battle that nearly ended reality, and sealed Lilith due to His restriction of killing anyone. However, I doubt even God could kill Lilith. After all, God is not omnipotent as he is believed to be, he, too, has weaknesses. And Lilith... is flawless." 

Asmodeus shook, the shudders exceeding the apprehension of death. As if the end of the world was not so far away. 

"Lilith broke free from the seal, and is currently roaming on God's creation. All we must pray for is that KAZIZAK will not break free from his seal, or else this time, reality will undoubtedly be destroyed. Even if KAZIZAK is defeated, Lilith will wipe out all devils. She will do anything within her might to destroy what she hates most. But... maybe... is KAZIZAK wins... maybe hope will arise. Maybe he will gain the trust of the devils. And maybe... world peace will be brought to reality." 

The headache Asmodeus once had disappeared. 

"Unfortunately for me, I will not be there to experience it... you know? I'm nearing the end of my longevity. Death... will soon come for me." 

Asmodeus let flutter his melancholy. 

"Yes, I've heard..." 

"In a few days, I will return to Hell and suffer, the same as the fate of all devils. Even if I had spent half of my life right here on this bed, I will be punished for existing." 

For some, suffering is entirely their desire. That is the case for all devils, with the exceptions of the remarkable devils that fear their afterlife. However, to express their fear is equivalent to treason. 

"I... don't want to die. I don't want to go Hell. I want to live and see the day where he comes back... I want to die in peace, not in unease. I don't want to cease living... but... if that is impossible, then-" She raised her hand, reaching towards the ceiling, envisioning the place that she wished to go. "Then, I'd like to go Heaven, where Angels go hither subsequent death." 

Tears streamed down her face. 

Her dreams will not come true. 

"If only... I wasn't a devil." 

All devils are cursed, just as they are believed to do to others. They are brainwashed, just as they are believed to do to others. However, they, too, have feelings, unlike what they are believed to be bereft of.Devils are slaves to cruelty.