old faded blue jeans

Summary-Tommy goes out with his parents and makes an unexpected friend
Words- 813

—————

Tommy's feet dragged on the pavement as he walked behind his parents into some old random restaurant in his town. They were constantly trying to bring him to places to try and strengthen their "bond" with him, and Tommy found it ridiculous. He would rather be at home, doing just about anything else. He was barely even hungry at the time, he would normally eat dinner at least 2 hours later than the current time it was, but his parents insisted on getting there early, and beating the crowd. They also often ate dinner earlier than Tommy did, he thought it must just be an adult thing.

They walked into the restaurant and Tommy was immediately invited with the smell of frying food, which wasn't very appetizing to him, especially since he wasn't hungry in the slightest. The place was clearly outdated, and the 2016 radio pop music playing faintly around the restaurant didn't help improve Tommy's opinion of the place.

They were immediately greeted by a waitress, who was overly-friendly, but seated them right away, so Tommy didn't have any complaints. His parents would continually ask him questions related to how his day was going or school, trying to start a conversation where Tommy would open up to them, even if it was just minor details, but every time, Tommy answered with terse, one-word answers, his eyes focused on the menu.

He kept his eyes on the menu long after he decided what he wanted, reading the details of every dish and analyzing the pictures, avoiding his parents poor attempts at trying to connect with him.

A waiter came over and took their drinks, and as he walked away, Tommy kept his eyes up, and in his view appeared a boy, who looked around his age, sitting alone with his meal. He was wearing a pair of old faded blue jeans with a dark green sweatshirt, and had brunette hair.

Tommy waited until he got his drink, every once and a while glancing at the boy sitting at the table, who was still alone, with no other belongings of other people in the booth, other than a jacket, which Tommy assumed belonged to the boy. Once his drink was handed to him and his food order was taken, he promptly stood up, resulting in confused looks from his parents along with them asking questions along the lines of, "What do you think you're doing?," to which Tommy responded, "I'm going to sit with that boy over there, he looks lonely."

The boy did not notice the tall blonde boy walking over to him, or that he was in fact walking to him, until he interrupted his eating with "Is it alright if I sit here?"

The boy, visibly confused with some seeming undertones of nervousness, responded with. "Uh, yeah sure, nobody's sitting here."

Tommy sat down and looked at the boy, who had his eyes focused on his food, obviously not expecting this interaction.

"I'm Tommy."

"I'm Toby, but my friends-well-they're not really-. They call me Tubbo."

"Well, nice to meet you Tubbo. If you don't mind me asking, why are you here alone?

"Um, well I'm not here alone, I'm not the type of person to go to restaurants and places by myself, I'm not that lonely." Tubbo said with a chuckle, "My family got quite irritated with me, they often do, so here we are. They're right over there." He finished as he pointed to a family of 4 laughing at some joke someone had just told.

"Oh, my parents are right there. They were being quite annoying today, asking me all sorts of questions." Tommy added, as he waved his hand over to his parents table, who were compelled by the striking conversation of the two boys, and after hearing Tommy's comment, responded with eye rolls and the shaking of their heads.

The two were able to cover multiple topics before Tubbo's family were finished and ready to go, from school talk to making the discovery they both loved the game Minecraft, and promised to play it with each other soon. Tubbo's family were surprised to find Tubbo and Tommy deep in conversation for Tubbo was not the most social type. Tommy instantly introduced himself to them, before exchanging contact information with Tubbo.

As Tommy went back to his own table, he was once again, bombarded with questions from his parents, but with ones he was more interested to answer, excited to share about the person he had met.

The boys didn't know it at the time, although they might have felt it deep down, but they were oblivious to the fact they had just made a lifelong friendship, which would be filled with highs and lows, but would come out stronger after every obstacle. Both their lives were changed that day, for the better.

——————