Chapter THIRTEEN

Sunday - February 17, 2020 - 08:30 

It's a little early...I finished some school work so I wouldn't have to worry about doing any after playing soccer today. Shawn's coming along, which is exciting.

I hope everything goes well...

__

"You are the absolute weirdest person I know."

Ella and I had just gotten off at the Marble Arch Underground station and she was still going on about how I was wearing shorts in the middle of February.

"I already told you," I narrowed my eyes at her as we waited on the corner to cross the street, "I get too hot when I run around."

"But it's London and it's February," Ella huffed out, "How are you not cold?!"

A particular gust of wind hit my legs and I shivered a little. I shrugged my shoulders, because while I was relying on the warmth from my sweatshirt to keep me from freezing...I knew that when we would start playing I wouldn't want to be wearing leggings.

Ella side eyed me, "Hoping a certain someone will give you some warmth?" She smirked and I went red, "Because if so, that's a great idea––"

"Ella."

She held her hands up in defense, still smiling as she glanced down at my legs, "I'm just saying...I like how you're taking initiative."

I glared at her, "I'm not doing anything." With a huff, I ignored her smirk and veered the conversation in a different direction, "Shawn should be waiting for us across the street."

Ella's eyes lightened up as she raised her eyebrows, "I still can't believe you asked him on a date."

"It's not..." I shoved my hands into the front of my sweatshirt as we walked under the Marble Arch, "It's not a date."

"It so is."

"We'll be around other people," I pulled out my phone and read over my messages with Shawn to see where exactly he said he was, "And it's just soccer."

Ella hummed in a disbelieving tone, "Still a date."

I was about to refute her claim, say something about how she and Jack would be present––so it would most definitely not count as a date––but then I saw him. He was standing by the entrance, one hand in his gray sweatshirt pocket and the other scrolling on his phone. He looked comfortable in his black joggers and well worn sweatshirt; and all I wanted to do was lean my head on his chest and take a little nap.

He briefly looked away from his phone to smile down at a dog that came up to sniff his shoe. And just when he was about to resume scrolling on his phone, his eye caught mine. In one swift motion, he clicked his phone shut, ran a hand through his curls, and waved.

I felt my breath get caught in my throat.

"Glad you could make it," Ella waved at him when we were finally in front of him.

Shawn smiled, "Ella, hi." And then he slightly turned to face me, a slight blush on his cheeks, "Hey."

I felt my cheeks turn red, highly aware that Ella was analyzing our interaction, "Hi."

It was as if Shawn was also conscious of Ella's staring because his hands were still tucked away in the front of the sweatshirt. At Brightside, he was never nervous about touching my shoulder, holding my hand, or sneaking a kiss every now and then. But it seemed like there was something holding him back.