XLV. Lazarus Rising

[Season Four]

(New aesthetic below! This was a change to my original plans, but I like it a lot better)

Dean and Johanna were in a dark place breathing heavily and flicked their lighters on. They were inside a wooden coffin.

Their voices were hoarse as they cried, "Help! Help! Help!"

They pounded on the wood above their heads and dirt rained down on their face, yet they still continued pounding.

FIELD

In the middle of a grassy field, a simple wooden cross had been planted. A hand burst from the dirt, followed by another. Another set of hands burst from the dirt. It was Dean and Johanna, and they crawled their way out of the ground, groaning and gasping. They laid on their backs, panting. They stood and looked around in the glaring sunlight. Around the crude headstones was a perfect circle, lying on the ground as though something not of the world had felled them.

Dean and Johanna found a road and started walking along it, soon coming upon an abandoned gas station. They pounded on the door and called out in a hoarse voice, "Hello?"

He rolled up his outer shirt over his right and and broke the glass on the door. Inside, he grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and gulped it, gasping. He found a newspaper and saw the date which read, Thursday, September 18th.

"September," Dean and Johanna said.

They made their way into to the bathrooms.

MEN'S RESTROOM

Dean washed his face in a dingy sink, then looked up and stared at his reflection. He was wearing a tight black T-shirt. He frowned, stood, and pulled the shirt up to expose his chest.

He remembered his chest being ripped open by the Hellhound.

Dean stared at his unblemished, unscarred chest in the dingy gas station mirror. He turned his left shoulder to the mirror and pulled up his sleeve to reveal a large, raw handprint brand.

WOMEN'S RESTROOM

Johanna washed her face before staring at herself in the mirror. She was in a black tank top, her plaid shirt around her waist.

She shuddered, remembering the white hot blast and then nothing.

Johanna pulled down her collar to see burn marks and frowned, seeing the fingertips of a large raw handprint brand around her collarbone.

---

They exited the bathrooms and reentered the main part of the gas station mart.

Dean pulled snacks and energy bars from the shelves, along with several bottles of water and stashed them into a plastic bag. He stopped in front of a magazine stand and grinned slowly. On the stand was an adult magazine - Busty Asian Beauties. He picked it up, smirked, flipped through it, and stuffed it in his bag.

Johanna rolled her eyes and let out a sigh.

They went to the counter, set down the bag, and he hit a single button on the register, snapping his fingers in satisfaction when it popped open. As he was looting cash, the TV to his left, showing only static. He shut it off, only to have a radio to his right turn on to white noise. Not wasting a moment, Johanna went to another shelf, grabbed a carton of salt, opened it, and began pouring it along the windowsill. Dean also grabbed a carton of salt.

A high-pitch tone began and Dean and Johanna clutched their left ears in pain as they continued pouring salt with their right hands. As it continued, they dropped the salt and crouched the floor and groaned in agony. The window above their heads shattered as the sound continued and they dropped to the floor. They leapt to their feet as the sound continued and more glass on the ceiling and walls shattered. Dean and Johanna looked around cautiously.