✵Chapter Two✵

The big day of the Grand Spring Ball is getting closer and closer, as is the moment when Ethel will have to tell Mildred the truth.
Now they sit close together in the mess hall, Mildred distractedly bites a sandwich while she is busy listening to yet another story of Enid and her fantastic and famous parents, Maud tries to finish her homework.
Ethel looks at her empty plate, hoping that a solution to her problems will materialize on it if she concentrates enough.

«Are you all right, Ethel?»
Enid asks, stopping her story.
«She's right, you look worried, do you want to talk about it somewhere else?»
Mildred adds, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.
«Oh, me? No problems!
I was just thinking about a book...that I'm writing?»
Even Ethel doesn't know if what she just said is a question or a statement, she mentally slaps herself for being so stupid.
«You never told me this before..» says Mildred with a suspicious look.
«I wanted to keep It secret for a while, I don't want to accidentally reveal my brilliant ideas..!
The walls have ears here!»
Ethel laughs nervously and gets up, looking for something or someone in the room.
«I just remembered that I need to discuss...family business with Sybil?
Yes, with my beloved little sister!
Now I will let you hear the stories of the Nightshade family, see you in class!»
Says Ethel hastily walking away from the table, regaining her balance before stumbling in front of everyone.

As she leaves the room the eyes of the three friends are still on her, until they look at each other.
«That was...very suspicious...» Mildred whispers.
«That was extremely suspicious!»
The other two immediately respond, raising their voices excitedly.
A couple of girls turn to look at the trio, curious about the interruption of the general silent tone of the room.

I need to know what's going on...; Mildred thinks, inviting the others to get up and follow her with a simple movement of the hand.

______________

Sybil quietly reads a book on her bed, while her sister Ethel anxiously marches around her room.
«What should I do?»
She desperately asks to herself and her younger sister.
«I don't know Ethel, can't you just tell her the truth?
After all, there will be other events to attend as a couple...»
Again no one seems to understand the real problem.
«Sybil don't you understand?
It was supposed to be our first date in front of the whole school, but now she'll believe that I want to hide our relationship!»
Sybil snorts bored, puts the book on the bedside table and looks Ethel straight into her eyes and crosses her arms.
«Isn't that what you're trying to do just to not shock our mother?
Ethel don't you realize that you are afraid of her judgment?
You will never be happy if you keep hiding.»

Ethel stands speechless.
Her younger sister has managed to understand what she is trying to ignore.
Her terrible and deep fear: being rejected by her mother.

«Oh wow, can't you be a little less harsh and direct?»
Ethel asks, slightly nervous and offended.
«Well Ethel, you came here chasing my friends away for my advices.
That's what I'm trying to do but if I can't tell the truth then what are you looking for?»
«Honestly, I don't know either.
I'm looking for a reason to break my girlfriend's heart and ruin her plans for our first official date.»
Sybil snorts again, getting out of bed and pushing her sister towards the door.
«You're exaggerating as usual, explain the truth to her and she'll understand, she isn't stupid and dramatic like you!»
Ethel surrenders, opens the door and lets the two girls, previously kicked out, enter.
They don't seem angry, just curious.

«Are you okay, Ethel?»
They ask at the same time, Ethel turns for a second to look at them before leaving.
«Yes, don't worry apparently I'm just too dramatic...»
Sybil rolls her eyes  says one last thing to her sister before she leaves her room completely;
«Come on Ethel! Don't be offended I was just telling the truth!»