Chapter 4

❦ Anya's POV ❦

I stretch off the bed, the early rising sun greeting my droopy and tired eyes. I see Juliet curled up in the comforter next to me, a small smile tugging at my lips. Juliet has seen me at my worst and yet she still sticks to me like glue.

I yawn and roll out of the cozy comforter bed and onto the cold wooden floor, trudging towards the window. The sunrise is beautiful, pink and orange ridden clouds litter the sky, the sun not yet visible above the treeline but reflecting against the snow and causing even the snow to look pink.

I walk towards the little bathroom connected to this room. Like everything else in the room, the bathroom is pure white with wood here and there to compliment it. Pretty nice dorm rooms if you ask me - must be a prep school. I chuckle to myself and wash up, getting ready for the day.

I straighten out the baggy long sleeve shirt and joggers that Diego's "friend" let me borrow. I haven't met her, but apparently she's nice.

I tiptoe over to the door and open it quietly, gently closing it behind me and sneaking down the stairs. After many minutes of wondering I finally find a door that leads me to a grand kitchen, It's very big and looks like something you would see at a restaurant, but nicer.

I look around and finally find a pan and some ingredients and then I start - cutting up fruit, toasting bread, eggs, bacon, sausage, you name it. It's 7am when I finally finish and lay the food on plattes out on the counter buffet style, making sure the hot food is covered to stay warm. I wash my hands and pour a fresh cup of coffee.

"Miss? Can I help you?"

I turn around and see one of Diego's friends, I recognize him from the restaurant - same milky dark skin, same bright golden eyes. They make me want to step away from them, as if they were studying my every move, my every breath.

"H-hi! I'm A-anya, o-one o-of Diego's f-friends. He s-said I c-could stay, I h-hope that's ok?"

"Ah yes, Diego told me about you, Anya. You're welcome to stay, it's not often Diego extends his kindness but when he does we must take advantage of it." He says solemnly, getting a steaming cup of coffee himself.

"I'm Milo,"

He sits back against a counter top directly across from me, a couple feet. He seems nice, but much more...wise than anyone i've ever met. Wise and solemn, calm and collected. I can't help but feel a weird sense of submission around him, as if his presence alone demands respect.

"H-hi Milo, i-it's v-very nice of you g-guys t-to let us stay. A-are y-you a s-student t-too?"

He stops sipping his coffee suddenly and curtly, his eyes become cloudy and he stays silent. It's like he's zoned out.

"M-milo?"

"Sorry about that." He snaps back out of his "trance" and casually resumes his position slumped against the counter.

"Yes, I'm one of the - erm - counselors. Yeah I help run some things."

I nod.

"I'm sure Diego told you a bit about this place already, but you probably don't know how old it is."

This peaks my interest, as a nerd in basically every way.

"H-how o-old is i-it?"

He chuckles lightly.

"More than a thousand years, our ancestry is extensive and the...arts that are taught here are very important to us as a...culture, yeah. We have a whole bunch of stuff on history in our library."

He says casually.

"Would you like me to show you?"

"Y-yes, that w-would be amaz-zing! Ahem. I-i m-mean I'd like t-that."

I feel a warm blush tint my cheeks at my little outburst.

"It's cool, i'm the biggest nerd around here I practically live in this library,"

I chuckle as he starts leading me away, not however before making a comment on the breakfast i prepared.

"You cooked for us?"

His eyes are a bit wide and he's seems almost confused.

"W-well, y-yes. I thought I s-should-"

"That's very generous of you Anya, but you do not owe us that. It's a pleasure to have you, and I've only just met you,"

That familiar blush returns to my cheeks and I suddenly become very interested with the carpet.

"This way!"

He leads me up the staircase I went down this morning to ger down to the kitchen, and then he leads me up another staircase, leading me a floor up from the bedroom I was in last night.

I hear little snores coming from behind the door, but Juliet will be out for at least another three hours and I'm sure i'll be back by then. He leads me past a few doors until we reach a double set of grey painted doors, with small and very detailed designs engraved on it. He pushes them open and at that moment my jaw drops.

(image at top)

It's a high-ceiling room with bookcases all along the walls. There's a fireplace on one side with chairs and a carpet next to it, along with other comfy looing chairs scattered in the rest of the room. There's three desks with cozy lamps and three floor to ceiling windows reflecting the light of the snows and into the room, making it bright.

"T-this is a-amazing!"

I walk into the room, admiring under me the marbled floor.

"I'm one of the few who spends their free time here, it is very beautiful. This library is for the counselors only. For higher-authority people you could say. You're welcome to spend your time here and no-one would bother you."

I can't help but be relieved that I won't have to socialize with new people, just the idea gets me a bit anxious.

"If you don't mind me asking," He walks towards a plush armchair and sits down, gesturing me to sit in one across for him and I do.

"Why do you stutter?"

The question catches me off guard a bit, I mean I only just met Milo, and while he seems nice enough, that's a bit personal.

"S-some people are b-b-orn with a s-s-stutter."

"Yes but you weren't."

"H-how d-did you...?"

"Milo!"

I jump at the loud sound of someone shouting his name, not noticing the look he gives me.

"I have to go now, but it was a pleasure to meet you Anya. I hope you enjoy your stay here."

He gets up, but stops and walks towards the blinds.

"Hope you don't mind, I don't want the sun to damage any of the furniture."

He closes each of the blinds and subtly locks them shut.

Once he does that he walks towards the door and shuts it softly behind him, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

***

This is what I thought Milo would look like: