Chapter 4

When Emma showed them catching fire with her hands, Fred and George were certain that she was a witch. 

"How are you doing that?" Caroline chuckled as Emma shook her hands hard to get rid of the blue flames.

Emma turned to her and grinned knowingly.

The twins gave yet another hasty excuse for the day, and hurried off, but promising to return soon.

"How?" Caroline asked.

"It's simple, really," Emma said beckoning her forward. "Just science,"

She handed her cousin a bottle of sanitiser. 

"What's this for?" Caroline asked, and Emma mimed rubbing it over her hands.

"Sanitisers are pretty flammable," Emma said. "They'll catch fire immediately and keep your hands from burning, but you should put them out soon,"

"Right," Caroline nodded. 

"I put my hands under the table, lit them on fire and showed it up," Emma explained. "Want to give it a try?"

"I can?" Caroline asked tentatively.

"Course you can," Emma said and got the lighter out from under the table. "You'll need a bit more than that," 

"Oh!" Caroline screamed as blue flames licked at her hands, but not really hurting her skin.

"Oh!" this cry was a bit more elated. "This is wonderful!"

"I know," Emma smiled smugly "Science is pretty cool,"

Usually, the twins would come only the next day, but that day, they were back in the late afternoon.

"You're back again," Caroline said brightly. "That's unusual,"

"We had time to spare," Fred said, leaning on the counter. 

"Where's Emma?" George asked. Their plan was for Fred to distract Caroline, while George took Emma out, got to know her and slowly let her in on the fact that she was a witch.

"She's at the back," Caroline said, with a knowing smirk, then called, "Em! Come out now!"

"Right," Emma's voice answered back.

"Oh, you're back again," Emma said when she saw the boys. She didn't have anything prepared for them though.

"Well, we missed you," Fred grinned. Caroline chuckled lightly. "And Georgie wanted to talk to you,"

"Me? Why?" Emma said taking her usual place behind the counter.

"A walk would be greatly appreciated," George said offering his hand. "And yes, I am asking you out on a date,"

Emma felt a flush creep up her cheeks. "I don't think I ca—" she started but was cut off by Caroline.

"Yes, yes you can," she said urging her to get out.

"But the shop—?" Emma protested.

"No one comes at this time," Caroline said dismissively. "And I'll manage, you can have your break. And if you remember, I owe you a shift too,"

"But—"

"Go, just go," Caroline said, pushing her out from behind the counter.

"I promise, I'm not that bad of a company," George said.