Chapter 19: The Fire Demon (Rewrite)

(Y/N) and Neo had been searching Vale for traces for Mercury, but with no luck. They were walking back to the warehouse when they got a call from Ruby.

(Y/N): Hey sis, what's up?

Ruby: Have you found Mercury yet?

(Y/N): *sigh* No...there's no trace, there's nothing at all

Ruby: *sigh* well...Emerald's not gonna be happy

(Y/N): Yeah thanks for the vote of confidence

Emerald had become just as depressed as (Y/N) was when Neo disappeared. Nobody other than (Y/N), Neo, or Cayde had seen her for at least a week, she actually even admitted to Neo that she loved Mercury. She wasn't going to be happy that Mercury was still missing.

When they got back to the warehouse, they saw Emerald on the couch with her head in her hands, Cayde was standing on the table via projection trying to comfort her. She looked up at them when she noticed them standing there. 

Emerald: Did you find him?

The two shake their heads, Emerald looks down in sadness.

Emerald: Did you at least find any trace of him?

They shake their heads again. Emerald collapses into her hands and began to cry. Neo walks over to comfort her while (Y/N) walks over to the wall and punches it. Then Cayde spoke up...

Cayde: Boss...I'm picking something up on radar...it's pretty big...it's airborne...and it's getting closer

(Y/N): I hear it too

His eyes had constricted into slits as he was growling, Neo's eyes were also glowing as her antennae were standing up straight. The two then ran outside and looked up into the storm clouds above. There were faint patterns of orange and yellow in the sky moving in a circle, they were originating from a flying creature, a titan.

Then the air was filled with an ear-deafening roar

(0:00 to 0:02)

Then a giant red creature dives out of the clouds and down towards them. Suddenly the creature began to glow a bright lava orange.

(Y/N): What the?... a Rodan?

The creature spun as it neared the ground, suddenly it disappeared in a flash of orange. When the light cleared, (Y/N) and Neo saw someone they would've never had expected

Neo: M-mercury?

Mercury was standing there, giving them an aggressive glare, but he looked different. His eyes were a bright amber, while his hair was a dark red. His arms were covered in scales which were a reddish brownish color, almost looking like volcanic rock. 

All Neo got for a response was a deep snarl as he charged at them. He drop-kicked (Y/N), causing him to fly into the warehouse, leaving a huge hole in the wall. As he turned towards Neo, a blast of atomic breath hit him and caused him to stumble backward. (Y/N) emerged from the hole with a pissed off expression, his eyes fully illuminated. 

(Y/N): Knock it off Mercury, this ain't you.

Mercury, in response, glowed orange and transformed back into his titan form. He looked down on them and roared

(Y/N): So...that's how it's going to be huh?

(Y/N) transformed and grabbed Mercury by the neck and threw him out to sea. Mercury just spread his wings to slow him. He elevated himself before diving and tackling (Y/N), knocking him backwards, and grabbing him with his talons and clawing him.

Down on the ground, Emerald ran out of the warehouse to see Neo staring at (Y/N) in his titan form fighting Mercury.

Emerald: WHAT"S GOING ON!? WHAT IS THAT!?

Neo: IT"S MERCURY!!

Emerald's mind broke. That was Mercury, what happened to him? Why was he a hybrid like (Y/N)? A million other questions rushed through her head. She was only snapped out of her trance by the sound of Mercury shoving (Y/N) to the ground. He pinned him to the ground as he leaned his head backwards as he was about to bite down on (Y/N)'s head when all of a sudden...

"MERCURY!!!"

Emerald screamed his name, he leaned his head back and stared in their direction. He got off of the weakened (Y/N) and glided over to them. Neo was about to change when Emerald put her hand on her shoulder

Emerald: Let me try something...

Mercury landed and roared at Emerald, but she didn't flinch. Heis eyes then widened as he stared down at her, she then walked forward and placed her hand on his beak.

Emerald: Please Mercury...I know you're still in there. Please come back to us, we need you, I need you, I...I love you

"KKKRRRRR...."

She looked up at Mercury, his eyes were filled with sadness, he was crying. She gave a brief sob

Emerald: There you are...

Then suddenly, his eyes widen as he leaned his head upwards and screeched out in pain before leaping up into the air and grabbed Emerald in his talons. She screamed out in fear as she was carried off

(Y/N) and Neo: EMERALLDD!!!

As Mercury flew off, something fell off of his scales

It was an Atlas military device.