Chapter 4

In an instant, the room changed from a quiet hall to one filled with dance, food, and music. Runeard looked around happily and then pointed to a beautiful young lady dancing near young Runeard.
"There! Thats my wife! Well not yet, but she was going to be. My Rita, she was the most beautiful woman and she had the kindest heart. It didn't take much for her to win me over." Runeard said as he watched his younger self offer Rita a dance.
"And you were happy, for a time at least Runeard. You married the King Fredrick of Sweden's daughter and had a few children." The ghost said as the lights of the party slowly dimmed and the room emptied. It then slowly transformed to Runeard's bedroom.

Queen Rita laid in bed, clearly very ill ass Runeard sat by her bedside.
"We now come to another Christmas Eve, one that likely changed what this time of year meant to you."
Runeard covered his eyes and turned away.
"Spirit, I do not wish to see this Christmas. Please do not make me watch this." He pleaded with the ghost.
"These are your memories, Runeard. I did not make them." The spirit protested as the conversation between Rita and Runeard became audible.
"Take care of the children Runeard. Do not be afraid to show love, I know you plenty of it to spare. I love you." The Queen said as she took her last breath.
"Spirit! I refuse to listen to this! Take me home!" Runeard yelled as he grabbed the metal cap from her hand and put it over her, covering up the light she created. In that instant, everything went black as Runeard pushed down on the cap in his hands. A moment later, he opened his eyes to find himself gripping his bed sheets. Looking around, he sat there looking confused but then a familiar frown showed up not long after.

"Bah, it was just a nightmare. There is no such thing as ghosts or spirits." Runeard grumbled as he got himself back under the sheets. Closing his eyes as the town clock chimed at 2 in the morning. Suddenly a bright light appeared in the room with a very large and jolly man, completely surrounded by gorgeous holiday foods and presents. The man wore a luscious green robe with white fur. In his hand, he held a gold torch with a mighty flame. Runeard fell out of bed at the sound of the man's laughter which only caused him to laugh more.
"Do not be afraid of me Runeard Scrooge, I am nothing to be frightened of." Runeard crawled out from the side of his bed and stood up, looking at the man.
"Are you the second spirit that was foretold to me?" Runeard asked as he looked around at all the wonderful food and presents. The man turned to him and chuckled before speaking.
"I am and you must be the the grumpy old king that I was looking for."