Chapter 17

Sam

"Do you know where Aelin is?" I asked running through the Illyrian war camp. Everyone shook their head in response. We all had felt the power shake the planet in warning of the upcoming danger. Ever since then Aelin, Dorian, and Nehemia had vanished. No matter how hard I tried, my magic wasn't as strong as theirs, I wasn't any big help creating barriers. I ducked through every tent hoping to find them as the earth shook again sending everyone to the ground.

Dorian came running as he helped me up and scanned the horizon. "They're coming soon." He mumbled as he looked over with worry.

"Dorian where are Aelin and Nehemia?" I asked worriedly.

"They are drawing wyrdmarks all around the camp. It's the only thing stopping Hybern and Maeve from breaking through." He answered.

"Take me to them, I could help."

He nodded as he led me across the camp, as all the fae looked at us in fear. This was no small war. It had taken us months to collect these weapons and supplies enough to last all the courts but they were running out faster than we had hoped.

As they neared the edge of the camp, I spied the entire inner circle there in serious discussion. "What's changed?" I asked as we got closer.

Rhys looked over and answered, "Tamlin noticed certain darkness starting to cover the outskirts of the Spring Court. All his people are being moved to Velaris for the time being."

"It's Maeve, I can feel her magic in my bones," Aelin said facing Dorian as her unspoken words were understood by him. All he did was slightly nodded while everyone else was too busy discussing strategy.

"Why aren't they attacking, what are they waiting for?" Feyre finally asked.

Everyone was quiet in though as Amren looked up, "They're waiting for us to make the first move. They need to know the strength of our forces."

Before anyone could respond, yells tore through the camp in a warning. The sky went dark as hard winds began to blow across our faces. This was not normal I realized, either from living with the fae for years or my magic telling me to run the other way. The sky split open as a bright blue and orange portal opened up. I could see dark green trees as little heads came into view. I heard Aelin gasp as she walked closer in a daze, behind me I heard Fenrys whisper, "The Little Folk."

Aelin turned around to face us, "We have to get Maeve into that portal. We already have an army in Terresan that could help us defeat her." When she turned back to the portal, a bright gold object fell through as Aelin caught it. There were tears running down her face as she bowed her head in thanks. If I hadn't been that tired, I could have sworn all the little heads bowed back to honor their queen.

Nehemia walked up beside Aelin and let out a joyous sob, "The Crown of Mab."

"I thought Maeve threw this into the river," Fenrys said looking away, from the painful memories associated with the crown.

"It seems the Little Folk still think we can win this war," Dorian said laughing humorlessly.

Instead of answering, Aelin turned around and faced Amern, "I guess this belongs to you."

She hesitated, "I left my crown hundreds of years ago Aelin. After the role, I have played in causing Erilea and you so many years of war I don't deserve this. A crown is supposed to remind a Queen of their duties and responsibilities, but I ran from those. I didn't have the courage you have now, you deserve it much more than I do and you always have." Amren said as she took the crown and gently placed it on Alein's head. "Long live the Faerie Queen of the West." and did something no one had never seen her do, she smiled and the crowned Queen and bowed in her head in respect.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment :))

Check out this link for Wattpad Awards (January Bliss 2021):  https://www.wattpad.com/992186930-%F0%9F%92%8E-january-bliss-2021-%F0%9F%92%8E-rules-to-be-followed