10. We can be Heroes (just not yet)

On a scale from Saiki to Touya, the angst scale is like a solid 5 near the end along with another attempt at a cliffhanger. But I have good news at the end of this chapter! :D

Gore Warning!

The next day at school started uneventfully. The definition of the word uneventful had already changed after being at the top hero school for a total of two days and he was already annoyed at the implications. At least he no longer felt dehydrated and achy like a good portion of yesterday. Saiki never collected numbers (he planned to keep it that way but it would never last long because life hated him like that) but after yesterday that may change.

Arriving at UA, he was stopped by his homeroom teacher before classes started. He was idly walking through the hallways to kill enough time before he entered his classroom when the man popped out of nowhere. Well, maybe he was exaggerating. By nowhere he meant the bright yellow sleeping bag that was just lying on the floor in front of him and before he could walk past him a sound came from it. From there, his homeroom teacher rose like a vampire from their casket. The only thing the scene was missing would be music from an organ. Saiki was trying his best to ignore him but of course, it happened to be someone he couldn't ignore.

Maybe they would have just run into each other and continued on their way. Maybe. However, Aizawa-Sensei stopped him before he could take two steps forwards.

"Saiki." The man was tired and it was so obvious it almost made him feel pity on his soul.

The said boy stopped and looked at his teacher. He slowly stood up and unzipped his sleeping bag. He stepped out and held the sleeping bag in his arm. Saiki looked at the spot where he was on the floor. He was probably waiting for him.

He knows that I was ill yesterday and wasn't compromising my placement here, right?

As much as he questioned his life choices, he wouldn't do anything to deliberately get him kicked out of the hero course unless it was for a reason he felt necessary. Remember when he tried with the quirk assessment back in chapters three and four? Or was it just four?

Aizawa stared at his student. "I wasn't going to say anything, however, I have noticed a collection of issues that I feel the need to bring up."

Okay, he thought, somewhat relieved that he didn't mention yesterday. He didn't even know how to interpret his dream.

"You do not have proper control over your quirk, nor are you taking the initiative to get it there. If it became that obvious during the quirk test, then you would've been expelled on the spot."

At that, the boy froze. It wasn't like Aizawa-Sensei was wrong. He's noticed that his telekinesis is more on the unmanageable side. The more he used the less control he had over it. That was, unfortunately, something he inherited from Dad's quirk. More power than there is control. While Mom could control hers well, that was because her quirk didn't tend to overwhelm the person using it. His father had long given up trying to control it and would take mild quirk suppressants on the regular basis. Saiki had to when he was younger as well but as soon as he had control over his quirk, he stopped. He didn't try to work it out more due to the underlying fear of losing control over it again. He hated those suppressants, even the mild ones.

However, his reluctance to even test his limits is coming back to bite him in the butt.

"However," he continued, "After seeing your exercise, I also noticed that you have noticed that problem. You have potential, but it means nothing when you aren't willing to improve upon those skills. Your opponent didn't use his full potential either, however, unlike him, your quirk can very well become dangerous. Much more than his in certain situations."