03

❝ — but today I drove through the suburbs,
crying 'cause you weren't around.

I'd thrown his skateboard to the ground, right after drawing a huge 'X' with a red marker. His hoodies scattered everywhere, and I'd ripped up pictures of us together into a million little pieces. Like he'd done to my heart.

We'd broken up just a few weeks ago. This was me coping with it. This was me taking it 'great. This was me getting over Sam.

In my hand I held the sole thing I couldn't let go of. It was a polaroid. Kristy had taken it when Sam had just gotten his license, and agreed to to drive us for ice cream.

I remember what he had ordered. How could I forget? It was what he always ordered. Vanilla, with chocolate over the top, and sprinkles. Boy did he love sprinkles.

We had huge grins on our face. They were genuine, sweet. We looked like - we looked like we were in love.

I had pressed the tip of my ice cream to his nose, and I was laughing as he tried to lick it away with his tongue. This was when Kristy chose to press the shutter on my 'Instax' camera, which now was also on the floor - being a gift from Sam.

Before our long arguments, before hurtful words were exchanged, before the world just shattered into a million pieces, we were so happy.

Hot tears fell from my cheeks onto the picture, my hands trembling heavily.

Why'd I ever fall in love in the first place?