Chapter 3

After half and hour, I hear a knock at my door. I quickly wipe my eyes from any tears, and hide under my bed sheets. I know that's babyish, but I don't feel like having any company now.

My bed sheets are light blue, as is most of the stuff in my room. To the right of my huge canopy bed is a white couch and a pale blue coffee table. To the left is my desk. Straight across the bed is my huge walk-in closet. Filled with enough dresses to last 10 lifetimes, my closet is the dream of any Royal Academy student. I keep all of my shirts in a drawer hidden in there. I keep insisting Dad to let my donate at least half of my dresses to the villagers, but he says I'll be needing them for future balls. As if!

I'm so consumed in thinking what I can do with all of the fabric from my dresses, that I don't notice my door open. Or that someone is now sitting on my bed.

"Julie?" they ask.

I pull the covers off.

"Mom?"

She smiles.

"I'm sor-"

"Shhh...let me tell you something," she says, and motions for me to sir next to her. Her hair is in her usual ponytail, and I can see and thin purple streak that she was cursed with many years ago.

"When your father and I first found out that we were having you, I wondered what you would look like, and what kind of personality you would have."

She begins to stroke my hair.

"You have my brown hair, but it's slightly curly, like your dad's. Your eyes remind me so much of your grandmother's, Eva. But, you have my temper."

"Mom, I'm sorry. I just-"

"It's okay. I know you didn't mean what you said. You know your dad doesn't get angry too often, (that's usually me), but when he does, it's for a good reason. All we're trying to do is protect you. Julie, you're the future ruler of our kingdom. We have to make the right decisions not only for you, but for the benefit of our kingdom and it's people. And keep in mind, the best decisions aren't the easiest. I was your age once. I know what it's like to be 12. Trust me, everything will get better soon enough."

I smile. Mom always has the right things to say.

"Thanks."

"No problem." She stands up to leave the room.

"Oh, and Julie?"

"Yes?"

"I love you. And your dad does too."

I'm still not ready to apologize to Dad, so I just say, "I love you Mom."