Chapter 4 (Jax's P.O.V.)

(A/N: This is told from Jax's POV.  I might do a chapter from Gilly's POV soon!)

I barely listen to the rest of the royal court meeting as I let the ambassadors do the talking. What have I done? Should I have not sent Julie away? What does she think of me now? I'm such a horrible father. But I can't let anything happen to her. Not after what happened to Raz...

Corn thief? That was a coverup. The real thief is a golden dragon that's been terrorizing the villagers, and stealing...corn. Well, I guess you could call it a corn thief. It would be too dangerous to let Julie come along. Gilly? She's capable of defending herself. Probably more than I can defend myself. I have to protect my daughter. At all costs.

I'm finally aware that the court meeting is over when people start leaving the room.

Ollie comes over to me. "You, okay, Jax?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

He gives me a suspicious look.

"Okay, I'm not! I just yelled at my daughter, didn't pay attention to the court meeting, and have to go investigate a dragon tomorrow! I'm not okay!"

Ollie looks thoughtful before saying, "You should go talk to her. Ask her how she feels."

"Ollie, she hates me now."

"Oh. Then let her cool off. In the meantime, have a pattycake," he says, and hands me one of his.

"Thanks," I say as I grab the pattycake.

"Aren't you gonna eat it?"

"Oh, uh, sure," I say, and then I take a bite.

Hmm...these are actually pretty good. No wonder Ollie and Gilly like them so much.

"Ollie, come on!" Kayla says.

"Welp, that's my cue to go. And, Jax?"

"Yes?"

"Tell me you need anything. You're still my best friend."

"Okay. Thanks, Ollie."

Ollie walks out the huge oak doors, and I'm left alone with my thoughts. After a minute, Gilly comes back in.

Seeing that everyone's already left, I ask, "Hey, thief. How'd it go?"

She smiles at the nickname I still call her. Gilly sits in the chair next to me and leans her boots up on the table. I smile at that cute habit of hers.

"Who knew having a daughter would be so hard?" she says jokingly.

"...was I too hard on her?"

"No, you were just doing the right thing. I know it's been hard since..." she trails off, but I know what she's thinking.

"Maybe I should go apologize," I say.

"I think you should give Julie time to cool off. You know, maybe I could stay with her tomorrow. We could have some 'girl time'. We'll practice archery, learn some new fighting techniques, and... maybe that isn't girl time, but I'm sure we'll make do."

"Okay, thief, whatever you say."

After I come back tomorrow, maybe I could spend time with Julie. I think it's time I took her outside.

I stand up so I can go make arrangements for tomorrow. "You coming?" I ask Gilly.

"In a minute," she responds.

As I walk upstairs, an idea begins to form in my mind.