Chapter Sixteen

"Why on earth would he hate you?" Adelaide asked as Sybil stood up to start pacing, much in the same way Henry had before.

"He accepted me into his home when I was a prostitute. He won't even agree to meet with me if I reveal that I'm a prostitute who is seeking to corrupt his daughter because I'm in love with her!"

"How would her father even know?" Adelaide asked, trying her best not to laugh.

"Don't you dare bring damned rationality into this, you godforsaken cow!"

The two women stared at each in silence for a few heartbeats before bursting into laughter. Adelaide heard the door creak open and her head shot up while her shoulders still shook from her laughter.

Henry looked bewildered as he walked into the sitting room.

"Is everything...quite alright?" He asked hesitantly as Adelaide and Sybil both sobered up.

"Oh, yes, quite! Don't be a worrywart, Henry. Adelaide has just been telling me some delightful stories!"

Henry looked pleasantly surprised and Adelaide grinned at him. He responded in kind and said, "I'm really very glad that you two are getting along." He flopped into a chair across from the two women as Sybil stood up. He and Adelaide hurried to rise.

"You are already leaving, Sybil? I haven't even had the chance to share my delightful stories," Henry teased.

"I already know all your stories, you rascal. Though, I'm sure that Adelaide would like to hear some so she can prepare for the temperament of your future children." Adelaide strained to hear the sarcasm in her tone but she couldn't find any. Was this Sybil's none too subtle way of supporting their relationship? If they decided to enter into an engagement of course.

"Don't go sharing all my secrets, Sybbie." Henry drawled as he pulled her into a hug.

"Don't go screwing it up, you ass." Sybil countered. Given the smile Sybil directed towards her, Adelaide could only assume that she was talking about Henry not screwing up his relationship with Adelaide.

Sybil rounded the table and extended her arms out towards Adelaide. She looked at her in surprise for a moment before embracing Sybil. Adelaide imagined this is how it would feel to have an older sister. Someone to confide in and trust. Occasionally gossip about love interests with. Whatever she had done to make Sybil trust her, she would have to be sure to continue doing it. Having such a lovely friend was fantastic!

Sybil pulled away and announced, "Walk me to the door, would you, Adelaide?"

"Certainly," Adelaide smiled as Sybil looped her arm through hers and led her past Henry wearing a bemused smile.

"So what you do suggest I do?" Sybil whispered referring to their earlier topic of conversation. "Would you have ever told Henry about your affection for him if he hadn't discovered it himself?"

"I really don't know," Adelaide said with an embarrassed smile. "I'd like to think that I'd have the courage to tell him. But on account of our large disparity in rank...I don't know if I would have told him. I thought he barely even noticed the country rector's daughter, let alone wanted to marry her!"

"It doesn't matter, you know," Sybil said suddenly and Adelaide looked at her in confusion. "It doesn't matter what rank you are. There's nothing that makes you worthier or a better person. I've seen it first hand myself. The lowest of peasants whose kindness and strength of spirit should have landed them in a grand castle. And the most insipid men rule our country."

Sybil laughed bitterly. "After my parents were a perfect aristocratic match. Both from wealthy families. They had a fantastic education and the most opportunities to be the best person they could be. And what did they do? They pissed it all away while making it so that no one would want to take on their children even after they both passed."