Chapter Twenty-One

After she had been wandering the streets for a few minutes, Adelaide heard the sound of a horse galloping on the cobblestone street. Panicking, she tried the nearby door to a small home. It was locked. So was the next. Before she could try another door, a horse and its rider were upon her.

Perhaps she could convince whoever this was that she was a prostitute like she had with that other man on the boat.

"Miss Fairfax?"

Damn. It looked like that plan had gone horribly awry.

"My apologies, sir. You seem to have the wrong person." She smiled up at the person nervously and turned to leave.

"Miss Fairfax!" The boy dismounted his horse and faced Adelaide. It appeared that Knowles was also including the youth in his criminal operation. The boy could not be older than sixteen! He beckoned her closer and after a moment of hesitation, she obliged.

"I am with the police," He said in a hurried whisper.

She looked at him suspiciously. "And why should I believe you, sir?"

The boy smiled. "Lord Devonshire said you might question me. I believe his message to you was 'Mrs. Williams, this is a poor way to try and escape our engagement'."

The poor boy looked like he was on the verge of laughter but held back. Likely because he was delivering a message from an earl.

Adelaide nodded, holding back her own laughter.

"Alright, what are we to do?"

"I have a room here in town where we can wait until Miss James arrives with Lord Devonshire."

"That sounds like a good plan, sir. Quite adept of you."

The boy smiled with satisfaction. "Please tell that to the Inspector, Miss Fairfax."

Adelaide laughed as the boy helped her onto the horse and then, mounted behind her.

"I'm afraid I have no sway with the Inspector, sir. Perhaps you ought to approach Detective James."

She still held the floorboard, loosely clutched in her hand. She was reasonably sure that this boy was with the police. How else would he know to give her such a message from Henry? But, just in case he was a remarkably smart criminal, she'd hold on to the board to give him pause if he thought about attacking her. The boy efficiently delivered them both to the small house where he was renting a room.

Adelaide swayed slightly on her feet after she dismounted. Although she had slept twice, it had been restless and disturbed. She had felt no better upon waking. It was catching up to her now that she felt at least somewhat safe in the boy's company. Speaking of the boy...

"My apologies, I didn't get your name, sir," Adelaide said as the boy unlocked the door and lead her down a long hallway.

"It's Fred, Miss Fairfax," He bowed as well as he could in the very narrow hallway.

Adelaide batted aside his gesture with a rueful smile. "There's no need to bow, Fred!"

"But," Poor Fred looked as hesitant as he had when delivering Henry's message. "Aren't you engaged to the Earl, Miss Fairfax?"

Adelaide laughed, still feeling ridiculously relieved from escaping Knowles' grasp. And perhaps a little less tightly laced due to her exhaustion.

"You heard what he said, Fred. He might not want to put up with my antics any longer!"

Fred smiled back at her and turned the lock for room five. Adelaide admired it as he locked the door behind them.

"That's my bed just through there, Miss Fairfax," He seemed to remember that he was directing an earl's fiance to his bed. He hurriedly cleared up what he was trying to say. "You're welcome to take it if you want to rest before Lord Devonshire gets here."