Chapter Five

Adelaide whirled away from the sight of the closed doors. With tears gathering in her eyes, she hurried upstairs and out of her male clothes. Aunt Margaret would only have more questions for Adelaide if she didn't come to greet the visitor. She had been so kind to Adelaide. She didn't want to lie to her if there was no need to. And there was no need to. She could hardly be so attached to Henry that she couldn't bear to be in his presence. So she would go downstairs and act like the perfectly civilized woman she was.

She paused, just before opening the doors, remembering the look of disgust on Henry's face when he realized that she had been lying to him about her circumstances. Steeling her shoulders and not allowing herself the opportunity to talk herself out of it, she pushed open the door. When it made a loud creak, she scrunched up her nose in displeasure. A habit her mother had tried to break often but seemed to slip out at the worst moments.

When she looked up, she saw Aunt Margaret and Henry, paused mid-conversation. Margaret looked at her the way she usually did. Kindly, encouragingly, almost motherly. Henry's expression was hard to bear witness to. He started slightly at her appearance and she realized that he had only ever seen her in pants and a shirt, never a dress. A moment of embarrassment plagued Adelaide. He had seen her lower half without multiple layers obscuring her. With just a pair of pants that, while still being loose, hugged her far more tightly than her skirts did. Then, he glared at her as if her appearance had reminded him of her deceit. And finally, he looked away.

Aunt Margaret stood and looked between Adelaide and Henry with a fond, unaware smile.

"Adelaide, I'd like to introduce a close friend, this is Henry Prescott, Earl of Devonshire. And Henry, this is my niece, Miss Fairfax."

Henry bowed while Adelaide curtsied. Adelaide laughed to herself. When Henry had been the man who managed Prescott's, he was at least within her reach if he could forgive her deception. Now, even if he forgave her which seemed unlikely, they were leagues apart. Earls simply didn't marry daughters of a rector. No matter who her aunt was. She blushed, shocked at the direction her thoughts had gone. She didn't want to marry Henry. Really, she didn't! It was simply that any chance she could had been taken away from her and she quite liked having the option. While she knew that didn't have even a modicum of truth, it was a convenient lie to tell herself.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lord Devonshire."

Henry nodded shortly as he sat back down in his chair.

"Did you enjoy the museum you went to, Adelaide?" Her aunt asked, trying to avoid silence from forming.

"Yes, it was quite marvellous, Aunt Margaret!"

"Oh, really?" Henry asked with a sardonic bite. "What museum did you visit, Miss Fairfax?"

"The British Museum, of course, Lord Devonshire."

They both placed a special emphasis on the other's name. Reminding both parties of the deception the other had perpetrated.

"What was your favourite piece, Miss Fairfax?"

Glaring at Henry, hopefully discretely, Adelaide racked her mind for an answer. A visitor to the rectory had visited the British Museum and Adelaide had questioned him at length. He had often mentioned the wonderful Chinese art that was on display. At least, Adelaide hoped it was still on display some years later. Or that Aunt Margaret and Henry hadn't visited the Museum for quite some time.

"I was quite fond of the art from China, such as the fans with calligraphy on them."

Henry clenched his jaw again and Adelaide was perversely pleased that she had managed to best him when he was in such a dreadful mood.