Chapter 1

Hearing that her brother was getting put into the maze was torture. He was only 16, he was a kid. "Why couldn't it have been me? I was older" Natalie thought.

She watched him through the monitor, seeing him panic about his surroundings killed her. She just wanted to comfort him, bring him back. But she couldn't.

She only ever had him. She had made a few friends before but they were all now in different mazes, and she only managed maze B. Where Aris was.

"Hey Dan can you watch this for a minute while I go see my dad" she asked the man next to her. He wasn't much older then her, he had to be in his 20s.

"Sure thing Natalie" he smiled at her, sliding along in his chair to sit at her screen. She quickly returned the smile before heading over to her dads office.

Just as she approached the door she could hear two voices coming from behind it. She recognised them both. One belonged to Janson and the other belonged to Dr Ava Paige.

Without knocking she slowly turned the handle and walked in quietly, the small creak of the wooden door was enough to catch the attention of Ava, she stopped talking and looked over at her.

"Hello Natalie" she said greeting her with her strange calm voice. Natalie could never quite understand how she was always so calm all the time, she never showed any emotion.

"Hello Dr Paige sorry for interrupting" she apologised giving her a small smile before walking over to the screen beside her dad.

"Don't apologise dear we were just finishing" she replied.

They ended the call and Janson walked over to his desk, picking up his glass and drinking the water from it.

"What is it Natalie?" He asked sternly not bothering to make any eye contact. He was naturally a very rude and selfish person and Natalie knew this.

"I know you probably don't want to answer this but why did you send Aris into the maze and not me?" She asked walking over towards his desk.

She could tell he really hated this question. His body language showed it clearly, he was gripping his glass intensely still refusing to make any eye contact.

"Natalie how many times do I have to tell you I'm not answering that!" He shouted causing her to slightly jump. She hated it when he shouted, he tended to do it a lot.

"Okay fine but I'm not losing him like I did mum!" She snapped back before spinning on her heel and stormed out of the room. Her mum had caught the flare and Natalie and Aris had to slowly watch her turn. Natalie couldn't kill her so Janson did, the pair watched as their dad killed their mum.

She went back to her monitor and let her mind run. She was more focused on Dan's computer more then her own, glancing over she could see her brother sat with two girls. She recognised them as Harriet and Sonya, they were around the same age as him, maybe slightly older, and looked like they could be really nice.

As Natalies mind wondered she found her self listening in to her dads conversation behind her. A group called the right arm had attacked maze E and got out a group of kids.

She had knew that the right arm was potentially a threat but she never questioned anything. Until now. "Who were they? Where were they taking them?"Her mind filled with all different questions.

She saw how panicked Janson got at the thought of losing more and more kids. They were in a pretty big warehouse, and Natalie knew every floor. Each floor was designated for each maze.

She had previously in the year went with her dad up to floor A, which was designated to maze A. It was full of boys and Natalie had met with two kids her age who were also immune and kept to work for wicked. Thomas and Teresa.

They were just slightly younger then her, they were around 17-18 and Natalie happened to be 19.

***

During the night Natalie struggled to sleep without her brother, usually they would sneak around during the night and steal food from the kitchens. But she couldn't do that anymore without him.

She lay back on her bed and stared up at the plain ceiling as her mind filled with all different things. "What if I could find the right arm? What if I could save my brother?"

She flung her legs off the side of her bed, connecting her bare feet with the cold floor, sending shivers down her spine. She walked up the stairs to floor A.

It was empty yet all the monitors were still on. She walked around the room glancing at each monitor when her eyes locked onto one screen.

Watching carefully she could see a tall blonde boy around her age, sneaking out of a large building and walking towards the walls of the maze. Taking the mouse she switched from camera 3 back to camera 1, giving her a better view of the boy.

He walked over and sat down on the grass outside of the wall doors, just staring at nothing. She couldn't help but feel sorry for him, she pulled up his records on a second monitor and read threw it carefully.

Name: Newt- Subject A5
Title: The Glue
Age: 18
(Could not be immune)
Comment: has a limp

Reading the last sentences her face dropped and her heart sank. She could remember watching the events unfold when he actually got his limp, and knowing that he could potentially not be immune hurt her.

She watched as he lay there watching the stars as he picked out small strands of grass. All she could do was wish she could give him a hug. She hated watching how sad the kids in the maze was, she hated what her dad was doing to them.

For 3 years she has watched kids go into the maze and sadly she has watched them not meet the expectations of the maze. She didn't want the same fate for her younger brother.

Before heading back to bed she did a bit of research on the right arm. They had managed to take a few kids from maze E, but wicked managed to take a few other survivors.

It didn't say where they were it only said that they were somewhere in the mountains. They were apparently an army with someone from wicked on their side.

She erased any trace of being there before quietly walking back to her room. She cleared her mind and drifted off hugging into one of her brothers tops.