Chapter 6: Wanna Dance?

"Wanna dance?"
I sigh heavily, Dan's strong grasp around my waist making me feel butterflies.
"I don't dance"
"Of course you do"
Before I knew what was happening Dan spun me around, making me face him.
"Dannnnnn" I whine, looking down at my feet, secretly praying that I don't screw up.
"Maddieeeeee" Dan moans back, mimicking me.
Suddenly, the room starts to go blurry. The voices of the dancers around us seem to grow louder and I'm pretty sure they're all staring at us. I realise that my hands are shaking.
"Maddie, are you alright?" I hear Dan's voice, sounding closer than expected. I let go of his hands and take a step back. Before I stopped to realise what an idiot I must look like I run to the nearest empty room, slamming the door.

What felt like hours passed as I tried to regain control of my mind whilst lying in the corner of the room.
I hear the clicking of the door opening and closing again. Knowing I'm not alone anymore I stand up, fixing my clothes and hair so I look somewhat human.
"What happened out there?"
Of course it was Dan.
"Anxiety's a bitch" After a few moments of silence I turn around to face him. Dan pulls out two boxes from under a dust-covered table from across the room, motioning me to sit. I walk over to the boxes and sit down, staring at the tips of my fingers.
"Are you okay now?" I hear Dan say.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine"

"You sure? I mean, I know I'm not great with expressing emotions but I'm here for you if you need to talk"
I smile at him, standing up. I walk towards the door but Dan grabs my hand as soon as I'm about to open the door. He takes a step closer, taking my other hand in his. He continues to take small, slow steps towards me until I'm pressed against the door. Dan strokes my cheek lightly with his index finger, staring into my eyes.
"Maddie?"
"Yes?"
"Would it be okay if I kissed you right now?"
I nod slightly and instantly Dan's lips are pressed against mine. He wraps his arms around my waist, bringing me closer to him than I thought humanly possible. Almost automatically, my left hand reaches up for his hair, the right pressed against his chest.
I felt his lips part mine for a second but I moved my head forward, craving his touch. I felt his smile through his kiss which made me feel unexplainable feelings. Eventually I knew we had to separate. Dan moved back, fixing his hair and smiling awkwardly.
"Well.. That happened" I said, sliding down the door until I reached the floor.
Dan didn't say anything. He just sat down beside me, putting his arm around me, bringing me close again.