Chapter 7: Blanket Fort

I woke up the next morning to the sound of a door slamming. Standing up, I look at my reflection in the living room mirror and pick up my hairbrush, attempting to look somewhat human again. I quickly grab a green hoodie from the opposite couch and attempt to pull it over my head. When I finally manage to tug the hoodie over my head, the first thing I see is Phil thrusting a plate of bacon and scrambled eggs towards me.

"Thank you so much Phil, but you don't need to go to the trouble of making my breakfast everyday"

"But I want to go to the trouble of making you bad breakfast everyday"

I smile at Phil gratefully and walk towards the kitchen and pull out an orange chair, while Phil sits opposite me.
After eating as much slightly-burned bacon as I could stomach, I looked up at Phil.

"Who slammed the door earlier?" I ask, taking my plate to the sink.

"Dan, obviously. He's never been a morning person."

"But it was the front door, wasn't it? Did he leave the flat?"

Phil looked at me and for a moment it looked as if he were about to tell me something serious, but then he quickly flashed a huge smile at me.

"If Dan did leave, then he'll probably be gone for a while"
Phil stood up, grabbed both my hands, helping me up.
"I know what we can do today!"

"Do you now?"

"Uh-huh. Madeline Marie Yockey, would you do me the honour of following me upstairs?" Phil asked in a terrible posh accent, using my full name.

"Why of course" I said, using an equally terrible accent.

Upstairs, Phil was rushing around collecting, what seemed like, every pillow, cushion, blanket and duvet that he and Dan owned, occasionally shouting "childhood!". I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

"What's so funny?" He said as he threw the last couple of cushions on top if the supermassive pile he recently created in the hallway.

"You. You're hilarious. Now can you please tell me what we're doing with the worlds largest collection of pillows and blankets?"

Phil smiled at me knowingly, while sitting crossed-legged in front of his pile of comfort.

"We are going to build a fort"

"A fort? Like, a blanket fort?"

"No, not like a blanket fort. That is precisely what we are going to create"

"I see. So, should I collect the tinsel and fairy lights?"

I watched as Phil's eyes lit up at my suggestion. He nodded and I began my search for decorations for our soon-to-be fort.