Chapter 9: Pit of Death

The pit is dark, like most places on the sunless side of Typhon.  Mina's eyes, having been on Earth so long, take a moment to adjust.

She stands, knees bent, swords splayed, listening.

Screams rise from the chasm ahead.  Crashes and bellows follow, something strong is moving.

Mina picks out the animalistic cry, her gift kicking.  She hears words.  She hears sentience: "Leave me alone!" It shouts, raging, its voice echoing off the walls, even as more human voices climb, clammer and despair:

"Run!"

"The spear!"

"GO!"

A cacophony of desperation.

The light around Mina flickers and flames.  Kakos is an unwelcome heat behind her.  "The maze.  How fun.  My father always threatened to put me in one, and it seems some of his dreams have finally been realized."

There is a wet-crunching screech, and the rough thud of flesh on rock.  The pattering of feet, the heavy steps of something worse.

What is it? Mina wonders.  She spins her mothers blade-recreations in her hands, wondering at the beings from the fractal plane who have so perfectly given back what she'd lost.

There is another bellowing snort, Mina again hears the translation: "FUCK THIS PLACE!" Another thud, a wet splatter.  The sound is close, closer.

Nathaniel's voice calls from above, it seems he hadn't touched down at all. "Those gate guards have called reinforcements as you said Kakos.  It seems Mina's intentions are less...amicable towards the gods." Mina can hear the slant of amusement in his voice, though she supposes she ought to be concerned.  But I'm not.  Josh and Dee are close, and if I can just get to them...if I can just get...To be together again gives the illusion of security.  Mina can't see past that moment.  I just want to go home.

But the warm-safe she yearns for is pressed up against the inside of the couch in the arms of another.  That place is gone, along with them.

There is another human scream, more collapsing rock ahead, a blow of dust.

"Can you handle them?" Kakos asks, like a challenge.

"As you will handle things down here?" Nathanial smarts back.

Mina can practically feel them trying to burn each other up behind her back. She turns to them with a sigh.  It isn't quite as hard as before to remember Kakos bled out on the dais above Rhea, or the feel of Nathaniel's jaw under her fingers, smooth one way, and sharp the other.  I am being ungrateful, and truth be found, I don't wish harm upon either of them.

"I owe you both after this.  I...it is good not to be alone." She finishes lamely.  It is the best she can do.  Her emotions are still running flat inside her, pulverized and blistering sore.  Kindness and thankfulness isn't what she gives on a normal day, and now it is so nearly impossible.  But Mina knows she has to try.  It would unmake me not to.

Nathaniel zips up into the sky without a sound, and Kakos' flame returns to a simmer.  Neither says a word.

Mina slinks forward towards the bone crushing sounds of humans ending, approaching the monster.

I have one behind as well.

But then of course Mina views herself as one as well.  And we all belong here, deep in the pits of Typhon.

There is another yell.  But this time Mina recognizes it.  Josh? Her heart licks, picks up beats, her fingers sweating about her blades.  She dives forward even as another bellowing roar rises: