Chapter 20

I open my eyes and look over to my right. I see Kai still asleep. He looked so peaceful. I get up and throw on some shorts and a random shirt. I go downstairs and see Stefan on the sofa.

"Morning." I say.

"Natalia, Kai shouldn't be here and you know that." He says.

"Kai's not here." I roll my eyes as I walk into the kitchen.

"You're not a good liar." He follows me.

"He's leaving today." I shrug.

"Good."

"Good." I mock him.

He rolls his eyes and walks away. I don't know how to tell him that I'm leaving too. He just got Damon and I back. I don't want to hurt him, but I want to be with Kai. I don't think we'll be gone for long anyways.

"Hey Natalia." Elena says as she walks into the kitchen holding boxes.

"Hey, what's all this for?" I ask.

"Bonnies birthday." She answers.

"The party's here?"

"Yep, can you help me set up?"

"Yeah sure." I shrug as I walk over to her and the boxes.

We started blowing up some balloons and putting them everywhere. I helped her set up the snack table and she started baking the cupcakes.

"Hey, so where's Jeremy?" I ask.

"He'll be here later, why?"

"Oh, it's just because I haven't seen him since I came back." I say.

"You miss him." She grins.

"What? No. He was just one of my closest friends."

"Sure." She smiles.

Damon walks in and starts to help us out. The cupcakes were done and Elena and I decorated them.

After we finish everything, I go upstairs to get ready. As I open my door I see that Kai's not there. I ignore his absence and get dressed.

I start to pack my stuff after I finish getting ready. It was probably the only time I had to pack, so I had to hurry. I decided to do some more research about my father while I'm on the road with Kai. When we came back from the prison world it wasn't that important to find out who my father really was, but now I'm dying to find out.

I never went to Stefan or Damon about it. I didn't want them to know until I actually knew the full story. Things would be a lot easier if my mom was here. I miss her so much and after her death I was never the same. Nothing was the same.

"Natalia, get down here!" I hear Damon shout.

I quickly go downstairs and find Damon. Him and Elena were in the kitchen with Kai.

"You wanna tell me why he's still here?" Damon asks.

"No." I shrug.

"Calm down. I'm leaving tonight." Kai says as he rolls his eyes. "I just need your help with something." He holds up a letter.

"What's that?" I ask.

"A letter for my sister, Jo." He answers. "I need you guys to give it to her."

"Why would we give a letter to Jo?" Elena asks.

"I haven't been able to find her using a locator spell." He says as he sits on the table. "And you know, good on her because under normal circumstances I'd be super jazzed to gouge out her belly button."

I roll my eyes at him and sit beside him.

"Why would we help you Kai?" Elena asks.

"Well, in case you haven't figured out by now, I'm a sociopath." He says. "I know shocker. I like being a sociopath. You know, I'm not burdened by things like guilt or love."

We all look at him weirdly. Damon looks at me and I put my head down.

"So then this merge happened, with my brother Luke, and I won. Which was great because I absorbed his ability to do magic, but now I can't stop thinking about how Luke died." He looks down.

His words catch my off guard. We were in shock.

"How Liv's life is ruined." He continues. "For some horrible reason I can't shake how badly I feel about it." He chuckles.

"You feel bad?" Elena and I ask simultaneously.

"Yeah, so when I absorbed Luke's magic, I must've gotten some of his qualities or something. Like empathy." He looks down again. "So I googled how to process emotional pain and they said if you write everything down in a letter and burn it you'll be healed."

I remember how he was acting last night after he said that. He probably was actually crying after I got out of the shower.

"So I started writing and this water literally started pooling in my eyes, has that ever happened to you?"

Elena and Damon look confused. I chuckle at the expressions on their face.

"Like water just oozing out of my eyeballs like I'm some alien creature excreting fluids."

"You mean you cried?" I ask.

"Yes and after that was done I burned the letter. The feelings were still there, so I really feel strongly that Jo needs to know how sorry I am for destroying our family."

I get up to grab a drink as Kai continues.

"I mean let's face it guys, alright. I mean Elena, you off all people should be willing to look past the questionable things I've done to see that there's good somewhere in me." He says. "You did it with Damon." He adds.

I spit my drink on the floor and burst into laughter. They all look at me as I try to stop.

"Sorry." I say as I clear my throat.

"Okay, I think we're done here." Damon says.

"Just give her the letter and I'll be on my merry way." Kai says as he puts the letter out.

"Fine." Elena says.

"Thank you." He says.

———————

TBC// hope you enjoyed 🥰