Chapter 44

"Oh mirror in the sky, what is love?" I sing along to Fleetwood Mac's Landslide. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Kai smiling at me.

"Who sings this?" He asks.

"Excuse me?" I pretend to be offended. "It's Fleetwood Mac duh."

"I think you might've forgotten that I was stuck in 1994 for eighteen years."

"It came out in 1975." I chuckle.

"Hm, I don't remember it." He shrugs.

He places his hand on my thigh. I look at him, but he's looking out the window. "Mr.Parker, what are you doing?" I ask.

"Nothing." He bites his lip as he turns his head to look at me.

"We're here, so keep your little thing in your pants." I say, parking the car.

"There's nothing little about my thing." He winks.

We both laugh and get out of the car. We walk to the door. Before I could knock, it swings open. There was a girl with brown wavy hair. Next to her was a girl with blonde straight hair.

"Who are you?" The brown-haired girl asks.

"I'm here for Lily. I'm her daughter." I tell her. Lily appears behind them.

"Nora, let her in please." Lily says. Nora moves to the side, so Kai and I can walk through.

"Nora." Kai greets her.

"Malachai." She winks at him.

I disregard their greeting and follow Lily into the living room. We sit down on the sofa. She sits on the one in front of us.

"Tea?" She offers.

"No thanks. We won't be staying long." I decline.

"That's unfortunate." She says. "Well, I hope you've brought the twins."

"That's the thing, we're not giving you our kids." I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous saying that.

"I don't understand." She sits up firmly. "We had a deal." Her attention focuses on Kai.

"Well, deals off." Kai shrugs.

"I know the idea of it all sounds absurd, but I can assure you they'll be in good hands over here. They'll be raised by people who share the same magical abilities as them." She explains. "I'm going to have to ask you to reconsider."

"Do you know how insane you sound?" I scoff. "They're staying with us."

"They're going to have to merge one day. You'll end up losing one. I can prevent that." She takes a sip from her teacup.

"No, I'd rather risk losing one than lose both." I shrug.

"They'll take your power away from you. You won't be the leader of your coven anymore." She focuses on Kai again.

"I know. I have a plan about that, and it excludes you taking them." Kai responds.

"They weren't for me. I was going to give them to Mary-Louise and Nora."

"Who?" I ask.

"The lesbian couple that answered the door." Kai whispers in my ear.

"I know you guys have been stuck in 1903 for a very long time, but they have these things called adoption agencies now. You can adopt any kid you want." I explain.

"Your kids are siphons though. Just like my family." She straightens her posture.

"No they're not." I lie.