Chapter three

We enter the room, which looks clean and it's neat. "So you will have that side, the builders are making you a cot, they will bring it in later." Newt says soft.

"Thank you." I almost whisper. He smiles at me and sighs deeply.

"Guess Ima get back to working, you can chill and make some friends for today." He says. Before he leaves I get the courage to ask him about his limp.

"What happened to you? Why do you limp?" I ask softly, hoping he would tell me. Maybe I'm to curious but I just wanna know.

"Oh it's nothing really, don't ask about it." He says and leaves. It's definitely something really bad, but if he didn't want to tell me, he could've been smart and told me he didn't remember.

I walk back outside to bump into a chubby kid, obviously younger then me. "I'm really sorry." I say ashamed. The lasts thing I wanted to do is bumping into someone.

"No no it's fine, you must be the new greenie, I'm Chuck." He says smiling and stretching his hand out.

I shake it but can't reply with my name. "Nice to meet you Chuck, I just don't remember my name yet." I reply softly.

"Oh you'll be fine, my name came back after a few days. I've been here a month, I was the greenie until you showed up." He explains.

"What do you do?" I ask, I wanna get to know this kid. He seems trustworthy and I don't want to end up lonely.

"I'm a slobber, I am not good at anything else really." He says looking down at his shoes. He looks so embarrassed.

"Oh don't worry, I will probably be one too." I say. Then some people, I think they're runners, come out of the walls to the maze. "Hey Chuck, what makes the maze dangerous?" I ask curious.

"Has no one told you yet?" He asks in disbelief.

"No, Alby told me it was dangerous but didn't tell me why." I reply thinking I may shouldn't have asked.

"We call them grievers, they are these huge metallic- spider creatures that wonder around in the maze only at night though. No one has survived a night in there." He explains. It immediately scares me.

"So when it's day it's totally safe?" I ask him.

"Yeah, but if you don't know the maze, get lost and don't make it back in time before the walls close, you're stuck in there for the night." Chuck replies.

That would've been nice if Alby had explained it to me, I mean that little bit of information was all I needed to be scared for life. "Do you maybe want some help with your job? I don't have anything to do yet and I am bored." I ask softly.

"What? Did I got that just right? You want to help me clean the kitchen, because you're bored?" He asks. I nod. "You WANT to?" He asks again.

"Yes, but if you don't want me there, I will go to my room and smash my head into the wall like I was planned to do anyway." I reply.

"No I would love to have some company, thanks greenie." He says. I follow him to the kitchen where Frypan looks at us.

"Ah Chuck, you come to clean I see?" He asks smiling. Chucks nods. "And what are you doing here?" He asks looking at me.

"I am here to help Chuck." I reply.

"Wait what? Chuck, you aren't suppose to let greenies help you when they don't need you..." I interrupt him.

"No I am actually willing to do it, I even asked him." Frypan just looks at me in disbelief. He nods and walks out.

"Again, thank you, I will finish early today with you by my side." Chuck says smiling, I don't think he has a lot of friends so that's only better.

We finish cleaning after an hour or so and everything looks so neat. We leave laughing at some jokes to see every single boy of the glade looking at us. "What did we do?" Chuck asks confused.

"Frypan told us you WANTED to help Chuck with his job on cleaning the kitchen all in FREE WILL?" Alby asks in disbelief.

"Why is is so hard to understand that people can do nice things for other people?" I ask irritated.

"No one has ever helped someone else, and especially not in cleaning!" Alby replies.

"For everything is a first!" I say almost exploding from anger that has filled me. These boys act like they simply think everything I do is weird.

"Everyone go back to work, now!" He says. Chuck and I spend the rest of the day together, we have dinner and laugh about stupid jokes until it's late and everyone goes to bed. The builders have brought in the cot and placed it in Newt's room.

When it seems like everyone is already asleep for hours, I'm still awake, I'm trying to process everything that has happened today but it only ends with tears silently pouring. I was sure Newt slept but he must've heard me. "Are you ok?" He asks softly.

"Did I wake you up?" I ask almost as soft as a whisper.

"No, I couldn't sleep, why are you crying?" He asks back. He stares at the wooden ceiling.

"I don't know, it's overwhelming. I just wish I remember." I reply.

"You're actually doing better then most of us, you've been really nice your first day, helped another newbie and made the impression that you're strong."

"What? I didn't make a strong impression, I thought you guys hated me." I reply sobbing softly.

"No one hates you, you didn't cry until now and the first time I you got out of the box, no one had seen you cry which makes an impression since most of us did." Newt explains nicely.

"Did you cry?" I ask turning my head to look at him.

"Yeah, I was panicked, it was all so much for all of us. Some weren't just as strong as you." Newt says.

"I would've past out right there and then out of the box if you weren't there to comfort me." I reply.

He sits up and looks at me. "Are you still crying?" He asks smiling weakly.

"A little." I admit trying to wipe the tears away which is useless since there only come more. He stands up and sits on the edge of my bed. He pulls me in a hug, it's warm and feels safe. He holds me tight as I'm sobbing onto his shoulder. It feels comforting.

After a while he pulls away and wipes the last tears away. "How are you so good at comforting people?" I ask smiling.

"I don't know, maybe because I have strong shoulders you can cry on." He says.

"Thank you, again." I reply before he stands up and lays on his bed again.

"No problem, night Greenie." He says.

"Goodnight Newt." I say.