Chapter 12: A hot experience

"These cattle need to be slaughtered today," Puma dismissively told the guards who were guarding a cell where insurgents were chained. Looking as if they hadn't had anything to eat in the last week, their skin was white, pale. They were no longer looking, there was only a dull dead stare at the floor.

"We'll take care of this, Superior Puma!" one of the guards replied sternly.

"Very well," he gasped out as he turned away from the guards and turned his attention to his female companion. She was the same age as Puma and her name was Katlyn. She had long blonde hair and a very noticeable hourglass figure. Puma as well as Katlyn both wore the familiar black uniforms of the superiors, or rather the errand boys chosen by Adam, whereas the guards had to cover their entire body with armor. Guards had the lowest rank in the Land of the Last Sunbeam, so the law stated that they were not allowed to remove their helmets in front of higher-ranked people, to prevent possible rank mixing by different statuses. No one from the higher ranks should fall in love with a person lower than them. Neither was that the goal, because if that happened, one would lose one's rank and be placed on the same level as the person with whom one had fallen in love. Free time or something similar hardly existed in the life of the guards. In the morning, the first training was just before the first meal, which was prepared from the leftovers of the higher rankers. During the afternoon they had to perform the tasks of their superiors and obey their orders. There was nothing that the guards were allowed to refuse. If they were ordered to kill someone, they had to do it. If they were ordered to accompany them to their private room, they had to do it. If they refused, they were slaughtered like cattle. That is why the lowest rank was feared. Once you were there, you had almost no chance of moving up, and if you ever made a mistake, that was it. Then life was over.

The rebellious, the so-called "cattle," were hunted down. There were few who rebelled against the rule of King Adam the First. But they existed. A small group of them were captured in the north of the kingdom and were to be executed today. But first they had to be treated like the cattle they were. Puma left this task to the guards. Getting his hands dirty was not his favorite occupation of the day.
At any time, however, there could be a danger of a rebellion by the insubordinates, which is why the highest-ranking superiors were always accompanied by guards to protect them. This was also the case with Puma and Katlyn.

"I think we should relax in the bath for a bit afterward, Katy," Puma pondered.

"That sounds fantastic. I need to get rid of that stinky bloody smell anyway," Katlyn agreed with him.

"Excuse me, Superior Puma, but King Adam requires that you both come to the chamber of the generators to speak with him," informed one of the guards accompanying them.

"Always he has to call in when it's not convenient," grumbled Puma.

"Too bad. I was looking forward to a warm bath," Katlyn added.

The three turned and walked in the opposite direction. Out of the direction of the dining hall and bathhouse toward one of the lowest floors, the generator chamber, which provided power for the large, partially underground castle.

Coco. The province of Guanacaste. Beach Club. In the evening.

[Warning about explicit sexual content]