Chapter 11 February 16th

February 16th

Jack and I woke up at 4 am. We were all packed and ready to go. I reached over and rubbed his face. "You're burning up... Are you feeling ok?" I asked. He coughed once then stifled the rest. "Oh, yeah. I am great..." he said swallowing hard. I could tell his throat hurt. "We can't go on this trip if you're sick..." I said. "Yes. Yes, we can..." he insisted. Despite every effort I made to get him to stay home, we left the house and set out for California. We were taking two cars, so we weren't stranded while Amber was out with her boyfriend. I felt like he was still going so he didn't disappoint Amber. So, we went. We stopped to get gas and then set out on the road.

We didn't stop until we got to the hotel, we were staying in. We got there early so they told us it would be a couple of hours until we could check in, so we decided to head to the beach and find something to eat. We parked in a lot and I saw the ocean right in front of me. We hadn't gone to the bathroom yet so we beelined to find those. Jack and Amber hung back and were whispering to each other. I was pissed and trying really hard not to let it show. When I came out of the bathroom, they were huddled together talking, so I went the other direction and headed out into the sand. "Hey, I thought we were going to get something to eat..." Jack called to me realizing I was walking away. "Yeah, you guys seem preoccupied, and it's been years since I have seen the ocean so while you guys finish up, I am going to put my feet in the water..." I said without turning back. Jack was running after me now. "But it's February, the water will be freezing..." "I don't care..." And I really didn't. I was about to cry. I had no idea what was going on. Why was I even there? I had never felt like such a third wheel in my life. I took my shoes off and rolled the bottoms of my jeans up. The water was freezing, but I was happy. Jack and Amber were still walking together talking. Amber was on her phone doing something. I had taken my phone out to take some pictures when I got a text message from Amber. It read "Hey Serm, Watch this..." with a link to a YouTube video. I clicked the link and a video started. It was a close up of a piece of paper and a song started playing. Jack's voice started. "Mr. Nies, I don't really know how to begin, but here goes.

My whole life, I've searched for someone to love the way my father loved my Mom, and from what I have seen, the way you loved your wife. This person would be the reason for everything I do and have done in my life. She will heal my pain with her touch, stop my breath with her glance, and warm my heart with her love. I would devote my life to making her dreams come true. She would never wonder or worry if I still care. She would be a gift from Heaven, a true Angel. I believe my father came to you and told you this is what I want and need in my life, knowing you already had this angel for me to cherish and love unconditionally. So, I ask you, with a promise to love and protect her and her child. She is amazing and deserves to be happy just as much as Michelle. I would be honored to be the one in their lives forever guiding them through whatever journey they find themselves on, right by Michelle's side. I ask you for your blessing as I will ask Mrs. Nies for hers. May I have your blessing to spend my life with your daughter and her child, the little girl you raised into a beautiful, intelligent woman and mother, Ms. Michelle Nies." The video had panned out revealing all of Jack and the fact that he had three white balloons in his hand. He rolled the letter he just read up and started tying the balloons around it. I looked around and looked at Jack completely confused as to what was happening. He was smirking. "Keep watching..." he said, and for the first time in a week, I saw the love in his eyes again. I looked back at the phone and watched as he clumsily finished tying the balloons around the letter. He made sure it was secure and held his hand up, releasing the letter. Suddenly it hit me.

He was sending the letter to heaven to ask my Dad permission to marry me. I cupped my hand over my mouth and started to sob and looked up at Jack who was standing there holding a ring. "Oh My GOD!!" I said through my sobs. "Get down on one knee, you fag!" Amber told him. He pointed to the swampy sand that surrounded our feet. "Uhm it's a little muddy..." he told her. Remembering how sick he was I said "No, you don't need to do that..." And hugged him, still sobbing. After several minutes of hugging and crying, I let him put the ring on my finger. It was a beautiful princess cut pink sapphire framed by diamond accents. It was me.