Chapter 19:

A/N: thanks A LOTTTT for over 10k reads! :D i cannot thank all of you guys enough for the amount of support and comments!!! <33

after a while of looking for jobs, we realize that this is going to be a whole lot harder. before poppy and i had met, our boss had run into us, asking us if we needed a job at his store. i didn't even have to look up how to get jobs, i just so happened to get handed a job.

it's been almost an hour and all we have are at least 2 options, none of them better than the other. "how about being a custodian?" poppy asks and we both look at each other, knowing the answer. 

"no."

"nah."

we look back at our screens and i sigh, seeing no available listings near my neighborhood. suddenly, i see a store, only 10 minutes away, looking for new cashiers. i nudge poppy and she glances over as i click on the link. we watch as we're greeted with a bright screen, and we navigate around. "wait- i think my mom said for me to apply for a job here a few years back." poppy informs and i hum. "really?" "yeah, apparently it's supposed to be cleaner than our-um... old store."

i look over at poppy who swallows and lets out a shaky breath. i set my laptop aside and hug her, feeling pitiful. "i just- i don't mean to cry." poppy whispers into my ear as she hugs me. i nod slightly as i pat down her hair. "poppy, if you need to talk, i'm right here." i murmur and she nods against me as she pulls away.

i lean back and see her tear-stained cheeks. "i-i'm ready to talk. i know last time we talked about- what happened... i was basically pretending to be okay. but i wasn't y/n. i cried for an hour straight when i got home, and my sister was basically sitting outside of the bathroom door making sure i wasn't trying to do something reckless." poppy vents and i listen quietly, my eyes starting to well up.

poppy takes a shaky breath in and slightly shrugs. "might as well start from the beginning right?" i nod a bit and i take one of her hands into mine. poppy nods too and looks away before glancing down at our hands.

"i know i had the whole week off when... when it happened. but i was going because i left something in the locker room the previous week, and i thought it would be a quick grab. well, it clearly wasn't. i was about to leave when i saw these men... these tall men with masks and black clothing and what looked like to be a gun on the side of their hips." poppy explains, her voice shaky.

she clears her throat and continues on. "they saw me, and i froze. i didn't know what to do. y/n i didn't know what to do and one of them placed a f!cking gun to my head. he walked over and pulled it out and- and i couldn't... i couldn't-." poppy's voice breaks and i rush forward as her strangled sobs finally emerge.

i let a tear slip as my heart crushes under the weight of our shared pain. she cries into my shoulder as i grip her tightly as if she'll vanish. she pulls away hesitantly before speaking again.

"i couldn't move, because i was so scared that i was going to die. i remember thinking that this is it... this is how i die. but, the other guy stepped in and forced the gun down. i know this sounds stupid and it probably is, but i'm slightly thankful for that guy. i'm sure if he didn't pull it down, that gun would have gone off and i would have died." she further explains and i nod, silently.

"anyways, they told me to sit with the other customers and stuff, so i did. the whole entire time, this kid was calling someone. i hoped it was 911 and as soon as i heard a muffled voice saying something, i knew that they were calling 911. but i- i called you and i was in the back, where they couldn't see me that well and i told you that- remember that loud bang? the gunshot? and i told you that kid got shot? i watched him die y/n, and now that's all i ever see whenever i see a kid. his lifeless eyes and the phone next to him..."