Chapter 4

{Authors note: play the howls moving castle theme while reading this chapter}

I went inside my room once again, there was a note in my bed.

Dear George, meet me at the treehouse at 11 p.m sharp. Not before, not later. I have a surprise for you. I'll be waiting for you there. Please, be there on time. Be careful with the guards, make sure they don't see you. Bring some food and music if you'd like. -Clay

How am I gonna do that? There's guards practically everywhere. I don't even know how Clay managed to come inside my room without anyone seeing him. Something about him seems strange.

"What should I bring to the date- hangout." I muttered, "Hangout." I don't want to seem boring. I wanna take my guitar. Maybe a book.

————

I shut my door slowly, trying not to make a single sound. I carried my guitar clumsily. I ran through the corridors. I walked down the stairs, which led into the door into the garden.

I opened the door slowly. It let out a creaking noise, "oh shit." I whispered to myself. Hopefully no one heard that. Once I finished closing it I ran quickly trying not to trip. I was almost there. I started getting nervous. What if Clay wants to hurt me?

No, he wouldn't do that.

I saw the treehouse hanging from a tree, I haven't been there since I was 7. I saw Clay's silhouette. I wish I looked like him. Manly, tall, brave. I sighed. I climbed the ladder.

"You're five minutes late." He said, while closing his pocket watch. "Let me help you."

He grabbed my guitar. "Thanks." I responded shyly.

"The sky is beautiful isn't it?" he said, looking up at the shiny stars.  "I have a surprise for you." He walked inside of the house, I could hear him struggling to do something. "I bought this music box for you."

He started turning the handle. I smiled, "Thanks," I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I just layed on the floor, waiting for him to say a word.

"Are you... scared of me, George?" Clay said unexpectedly. "Do you think I would hurt you?" His tone made me shiver.

"I mean, no," "but sometimes I wonder why you're so interested in me."

"You're just cool I guess." He said and then smirked, his pearly white teeth stood out from the rest of his face.

"Oh okay." "The stars are nice" He laid down next to me, I could hear his chains clanking.

"Mhm, I would give all of them to you, just to make you happy."

"W-what?" I turned around to face him.

"Yeah, George I want you to be happy." Weird. "Someone's coming."

"WE SHOULD HIDE!" I exclaimed. "We can't let them see us."

"No, it's okay. They already saw us."

"What?! Are you crazy? My parents are gonna kill me."

"Is there a problem here?" Another voice said. I turned around to see who it was.

"Oh! Hi Nick, please don't tell my parents." I scratched the back of my neck. Nick has been working as a guard since last year, he's my age.

"No, I can't allow this bigotry."

"NICK! Please don't tell them, Clay told me to come, right? Cl-clay?" I looked around for him. He obviously wasn't there.

"Come on, time to go inside."

Shit.