Chapter 11-Oh, the Barn

Early the next morning, everyone sits in the camp area. No one speaks.

Carol was cooking in a pan over the fire, Andrea sits sharpening her knife, Shane is eating food that was already finished. Glenn and the rest of the group sits quietly. I sit with Rick and Carl as we eat. Daryl sits in a fold-up chair next to me.

Glenn stands up.

"Um, guys," he gathers our attention. "So... The barn's full of walkers."

People pause in their movements and turn to face him. Daryl and I lower our forks and glance at each other and back to him. I look to Rick and he stares at either Glenn or the barn.

Movement happens quickly and all at once, and we all end up rushing over to the barn. Shane attempts to look inside through the door. One growls particularly loudly and bangs on the door and Shane jerks back and walks over to Rick.

"You cannot tell me you're all right with this."

"No I'm not but we're guests here. This isn't our land."

"Oh god, this is our lives man!" Shane protests loudly while running his hand through his hair.

"Lower your voice," Glenn says quietly to Shane.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea states.

"It ain't right. Not remotely. We either gotta go in there, we've gotta make things right, or we just gotta go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time," Shane pushes, insistent.

"We can't go," Rick tells him, knocking the idea down. He has a subtle anxious tone in his voice.

"Why, Rick? Why?" Shane demands.

"Because my daughter's still out there," Carol voices before Rick has the chance to respond.

"Okay, okay." Shane puts his hands over his mouth and nose and sighs in exasperation in a prayer-like position. "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"Shane. We're not leaving Sophia behind," Rick states.

"I'm close to finding this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago," Daryl joins in. His tone is frustrated from what Shane is suggesting.

"You found her doll Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll," Shane stresses.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about." Daryl's tone grows even more frustrated and angry and raises as he steps closer to Shane. I follow by his side, and I feel the scowl on my face. Rick raises his arm in front of Daryl and I.

"All right, all right," Rick says, trying to defuse the fight that was beginning.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said here. Now you get a good lead in the first 48 hours."

"Shane, Shane, Shane, stop!" Rick speaks over Shane. He doesn't listen.

"Let me tell you something else man. If she was alive out there, saw you comin' all methed out with our buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction!" Shane points away from him.

Both Daryl and I try to get at Shane, and he at us, with ineligible yelling from multiple people as Rick keeps us apart.

Lori and Glenn shove Shane back, and Andrea keeps us back.

"Back off!" Rick growls to Shane, infuriated. Shane looks to Lori and points a finger at her.

"Keep your hands off me." He turns and starts to walk away.