Chapter 19: Concrete Angel

(Picture: Rose)

Part 1-
Chapter 19: Concrete Angel

Eden's P.O.V

We got on stage. I have to do it. No, I'm going to do it. I cleared my throat and grabbed the microphone.

"Hi, I'm sure everyone knows who I am, if not, I'm the lead singer in the band who doesn't talk, like at all, but right now I am," I say awkwardly. I looked behind me. The girls just stare at me blankly.

"So I wrote a song for today, I wrote it awhile ago, before I got to this camp. It was about my childhood and what happened 8 years ago. The reason why I stopped talking," I cleared my throat again. My voice was a little shaky. I didn't know how else to tell my secret. To the whole audience.

"I had a little sister, named Rose. She was my best friend. Even though she was 5 years younger than I am. She would be 13 this year. I don't talk because she died in my arms, on my birthday," I felt my lip quiver and my voice shake a little more, I even had tears in my eyes. I bit my lip. And sighed, keep going.

"My sister and I were abused by our father. Because he was an alcoholic and he blamed us for our mothers death. We grew up scared and honestly we didn't know what to do, I had to be the parent figure to my 5 year old sister. A 10 year old had to be a parent. We didn't have many clothes, we didn't have very much food, actually we barely had food and we couldn't clean up all the time (take baths, brush teeth, clean clothes) because our dad wouldn't pay the bills. And every night we would end up getting bruises," the crowd was silent. I even heard the crickets chirping. Like in those movies when it's to obvious it's silent. I just kept my eyes up. I couldn't believe I was doing this.

"My sister just started kindergarten, she was almost was 6 years old and I, almost 11. I would have to pick her up from her teachers classroom, all the teacher did was stare at us. I always saw pity in her eyes. But yet she didn't do anything. Neither did my teacher. We were just lucky enough my dad put us in school." I turned around. I looked at Amber, Bonnie and BreAuna.

"And these girls, Amber and Bonnie have always been my friends, BreAuna, we all met her at the playground and we sorta ended up as friends. These girls though, they're my real family, they tried to get both Rose and I out of that house before one of us died, but it so happened we chose the wrong day. When I was waiting for Rose to find her teddy bear, dad had it all along, he knew something was up. When he noticed I wasn't there. Rose had to take both mine and her beatings. I watched. I was forced to. These girls knew if I went back up there, I would've died as well as Rose. I waited till my dad left the house. Because that's what he always would do after abusing us. To go drink more alcohol. I went up to our room. Her slowly dying in my arms," I felt the tears roll down my face. But my voice was so calm and so still.

"Yes, this stuff does really happen, it isn't just in the movies. If you're getting abused, tell an adult right away, it'll be worth it... But this song is inspired by my sister Rose. I thought if I told you all what this song was truly about. I wouldn't have to repeat myself. If you guys don't vote for us today because of this speech I understand," I started playing the song on my guitar.

"Thank you for listening,"

[Amber]: She walks to school with the lunch she packed

Memories started hitting me in the face. I wrote this song because I wanted people to know that this is true. That what I went through was total shit. Every single piece of lyrics got to me. I remember I barely even packed a lunch. There wasn't enough food in order to do that. I had to find money on the ground or beg the neighbors for food.