Chapter 4

Blue eyes. The bluest blue I've ever seen. The kind of blue that looks like royalty. And soft, blond hair. At least, it looked soft. I really want to climb on his lap and run my fingers through his hair, but my parents are in the room and Luke would be shot by my dad in a second. I just stood there gawking at this guy sitting in my living room.
"Andrew, this is Luke. He'll be staying down the hall from you. Luke, this is our daughter Andrew."
Luke stands up and walks over to me. Holy hell this kid is tall. I mean, I'm 5'9" and he still towers over me.
"Uh hey. I'm Luke."
"I-I'm uh, just call me Andy."
Luke smiles a smile that could make Hitler faint and holds out his hand, which I take. His smile relieves some of the tension from earlier, but it's quickly back as soon as my mom speaks up.
"So, since Luke gave me a list of things he likes to eat, I'm gonna go grocery shopping."
My dad stood up. "And I'm gonna stay here and make sure we all become bffs, right Andy?"
"Uhh, well-"
"Okay then. I'll be back soon." Mom says, grabbing her purse and heading out the door.
"Alright Luke. Me and Andy will help you take your bags upstairs." My dad said, picking up a suitcase.
"Thank you, sir, and Andy."
"No problem." I grab a suitcase and follow my dad and Luke upstairs. I'm glad my dad isn't a sports fan because the conversation him and Luke are having appears to be about music.
"Really? You met him?"
"Oh yeah. Bowie was such a chill guy."
"That's incredible."
We finally get to Luke's room and get his suitcases inside.
"Hope this is decent, Luke."
"Oh it's great. Thanks sir."
"No problem. Well, I'll leave you to unpack then. Andy you uh, got some drool on your chin." My dad says to me, quietly but I know Luke heard it by the faint smirk on his lips.
"Yeah, okay dad." I say angrily, but my dad just laughs and walks downstairs to his room. I feel really awkward just standing in Luke's room while he's unzipping his luggage, so I decide to start a conversation.
"So, uh how do you like America so far?"
Luke looks up and starts unrolling a poster."Well, since I've only been here about an hour, it's pretty nice."
I mentally face palm myself. "Right, I'm sorry. That was a shit question. Well uh I guess besides the fact that all other countries hate us and that gay marriage is illegal in some parts, America is pretty cool."
Luke looks amused at my babbling. "Yeah, I guess."
At this point I want to throw myself down the staircase out of embarrassment. I'm about to excuse myself when I see the poster he's unrolling is of my favorite band.
"You like the Smiths?"
He grabs a roll of scotch tape and starts pulling pieces off. "Yeah, of course. What about you?"
"I love them. They're like, my favorite band ever."
"That's so cool. My mates back home always made fun of me for liking them. You're the only other smiths fan I've met in my life."
For some reason that makes me blush. Even though I just met Luke, the thought of me being a first for him makes me smile.
"So what's your favorite song?"
His question snaps me out of my trance.
"Uh, it's pretty basic, but There is a Light that Never Goes Out."
"That's mine too! The lyrics are just amazing right?"
"Yeah I know! But I have a strong emotional connection to How Soon Is Now."
"Really? Why is that?"
I start to answer him, but then I stop. Should I tell him I have panic disorder? Does it matter? What if he thinks I'm weird?
"Uh, it just helps me through some, tough times, that's all."
"Oh, alright."
The tension in the room is back but is cut short by phone ringing. "Um, I'm gonna get that. If you need anything, let me know."
"I will, thanks again."
I leave his room and get the phone downstairs.
"Hello?"
"I had a feeling you were in an awkward situation." Ryan says through the line.
I sink back into the couch. "Thank god, and you were right. I was about to tell him about my panic disorder on accident."
"Jeez what the fuck Andy?"
"I know, I know. But I didn't."
"So...?" She pressed.
"So, what?"
"Is he cute?!"
"That's an understatement."
"What do you mean?"
"Ryan, he's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."
"Damn, son! I knew it! What did I tell you?!?" She pants through the line.
"Why are you panting?"
"I may or may not be running to your house."
"Ryan! He just got here!"
"Yeah, no shit. I'm here. Open the door."
I run to the door trying to beat her before she can ring the doorbell, but I lose. Ryan walks straight past me and into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.
"Why the hell did you run here? He's not going anywhere dumbfuck."
Ryan stops for a moment and contemplates the decision she just made.
"Wow that was dumb of me."
Before I can respond I hear footsteps coming down the staircase and into the kitchen.
"Hey, do you think your parents mind if I put nails in the wall?"
I look at Ryan's facial expression at Luke and can't even prepare myself for what she's about to say.
"Hot damn! You are one fine piece of foreign ass, you know that?!"
Luke just stands there, turning red as a tomato.
"Uh-um I-"
"Luke, you don't have to answer that. I apologize for my best friends behavior. She's not use to seeing attractive guys. When we start school you will understand what we mean."
Luke and Ryan are staring at me.
"Attractive?" Luke smirks,
"Of fuck. Um I didn't mean attractive. I mean you are very good looking, but- wait fuck that's not what I meant," I continue on, but no point as my mom opens the front door with grocery bags in her hands.
"Hey guys. And hey Ryan. You staying for dinner?"
"Uh yeah. Thanks, Mrs. M."
"No problem honey, well I better get started. Andy why do you look so sickly?"
~
"Ugh, I'm such an idiot!" I say, flopping on my bed.
"You're not an idiot, Andy. You just got nervous."
"Yeah but it made me look stupid."
"No, it made him laugh. If anything it made him think you are funny. Andy look at him. You think he's never heard he's attractive? You saying he's good looking is like telling him the sky is blue. You have no worries."
I think about what my best friend just said." Yeah, you're right." I sit up and grab my pillow. "But he is beautiful, right?"
"Oh my gosh, insanely!" She said, jumping on my bed. "I swear, you're so lucky."
"I guess."
But then again, we still have school. Luke's beautiful and charming. He'll be instantly popular. Will Luke still want to be friends with the girl he thinks he knows: chill, funny, Smiths fan Andy, or the outcast Andy I really am?