Chapter 8

When Friday finally came, it felt too good to be true. The first week of school always seems to be the worst, but the first weekend is the best. It also happened to be great because tomorrow my parents are running errands all day and me and Ryan are taking Luke into town. I'm really excited. I hope the things me and Ryan are into isn't too odd for him.
Creative writing is my last class and today we have to share a favorite poem of ours in front of the whole class. Even though this is my favorite class, I'm still so nervous to recite it in front of everyone. After most people went in class it was Ryan's turn. She chose a feminist poem that got a standing ovation from all the girls. Luke recited one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost: Fire and Ice. When I looked at Ryan and Sydney they had smug expressions on their faces, but I pretended it was because I loved the poem, not because me and Luke now had one more thing in common. When it was my turn, I grabbed my poem and walked up to the podium. Everyone in my class were pretty nice, so there wasn't any real pressure.
"Um, hey I'm Andy. The poem I chose is Thayer's Poem from the movie Teenage Dirtbag.
'Mad, mad thoughts.
Crazy, twisted, sinewy.
Mad obsession. You sicken me. You're so beautiful, love.
I grind you into a fine, soft powder and inhale you...
and then lick you off of my fingers.
You, love. Answer me. Your face brings me death everyday, and everyday I can't wait to die. Bury me now, love. Bury me now.'"
When I finish and look up and I didn't expect the reaction I got. I expected everyone to clap like they did for everyone else and move on to the next person. Besides Ryan and Sydney, who's mouths were open, half the class was looking at me, the other half at Luke. Then I realized he was the only person I was looking at when I was reciting it. In embarrassment I quickly left the podium while everyone clapped and sat down. The rest of class was agony with Luke staring at me. When the bell rang, I grabbed Ryan and ran out of the door while Luke was still talking to our teacher.
"So, like, what the fuck was that?"
"I don't know! God, Ryan. What is he doing to me? I've never acted like this because of someone before." Ryan looked like she was going to say something else but she stopped herself. I turn around and see Luke walking up to us.
"Hey Andy. Your poem was incredible."
"Thank you. Listen Luke, I'm sorry I probably made it awkward when I was reciting that poem. For some reason, you just, relax me."
Ryan made a choking noise as I realize what I just said.
"I realize that sounded very creepy and I'll just walk away now." I turned to walk away but Luke grabbed my arm. "I get it, Andy."
Me and Ryan looked at him as if he grew three heads. "You do?"
"Yeah totally. I always use to get stage fright back in Australia when I would perform. But my mates would be with me and always made me laugh and it would be better. So if I help you not be nervous, I'm glad."
I just nod my head slowly. He's not far from the truth, to be honest. I just didn't expect him to understand.
Ryan breaks the silence."Well, on that note. I'm heading to band practice. See you guys tomorrow."
Me and Luke head out of school when I remembered what he said before.
"You said perform. With your friends back in Australia. What do you mean perform?"
"Yeah. We were kind of in a band. Nothing major, just a few gigs back home."
"Wow. You keep surprising me, Hemmings."
The walk with Luke was so calming today. We actually took our time and got to know each other. He kept getting text messages, which I figured were probably from Nathan since he's coming over to work on a science project with Luke later on.
"So, you've been to Paris? You have such an exciting life."
"You'd love Paris, full of interesting souls, you'd fit right in."
I smiled at him."Why are you so nice? Like, no one is as sweet as you."
Luke shrugged and looked back at me. "You really sell yourself short, Andy. I mean, you're really special. Your funny, and nice to everyone even when they don't deserve it. I mean sure you're a little shy, but when you do talk, no one ever wants you to stop. You brighten up the day."
I shake my head. "Honestly, no one would notice if I left this place. I doubt I brighten anything up." I said quietly. Luke stopped walking and I turn to look back at him. "I see how you look at yourself and it's so sad. Andy, you're not a flaw in the world. I get it, you're broken. I'm not sure why, but I'm sorry. But you should take those broken parts of you and make a mosaic, because that's what you are."
If two days ago you told me I'd be crying in front of Luke I'd think you're crazy, but I feel my cheeks getting wet and I couldn't care less that he sees me. Maybe because it feels so good to finally be seen.
When Luke sees me crying, I instantly see regret in his eyes.
"Andy, I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry."
I just shake my head." No it's not that. It's just, nobody has ever talked about me that way."
Luke smiled. "Well, maybe it's time they did."
~
Luke came downstairs when Nathan rang the doorbell, but I was already in the living room. He came in and had dried paint on his jeans, so I know he just came from his art studio.
"Shakespeare!" He held his hand out to me.
"Picasso!" I took his hand and he pulled me into a hug.
"How's my favorite writer?"
"Grand. How's your painting coming along?" I ask when I leave his arms.
"Almost finished. Hopefully it gets into the art show and you guys can come see it."
I turn and forgot Luke was in the room. His phone went off again and he checks it.
"Someone's Mr. Popular tonight." I smile at Luke.
"Nah not really. Just a new friend from school. She's in my math class. I think she said she knows you, Andy."
I tried to think of any seniors I knew who could be in Luke's class that I know but no one really comes to mind.
"Uh, probably. What's her name?"
He looks up. "Gabby. She's really cool."
I just stood there, trying to process the information Luke just told me. Not only is he talking to a girl from school, but it's Gabby. Of all people?
Nathan just looked down and mumbled, "Oh, shit."
And I mentally thank him for understanding how fucked up this situation is.