Chapter 1

I knew shit was going down when I saw vanilla cupcakes. For one, my mom never baked. Let alone anything vanilla. Always German chocolate or double chocolate but nothing vanilla. Mom only made vanilla cupcakes when bad shit was happening. I guessed I've been lucky, because I've only had homemade vanilla cupcakes a few times in my life. Tonsillectomy, spending Christmas break at home instead of California, moving across the country in the middle of high school, that got me two dozen vanilla cupcakes. So when I came home that day from my best friend Ryan's house and saw the frosted, sprinkled bastards I knew my life was about to change. "Andrew? Are you home from Ryan's?"
"Uhh no."
"Andy, come here. We have something important to discuss."
That was probably the longest walk to the living room I've ever endured, but it's better to get it over with.
I enter the living room and look at my parents. My mom is smiling, as usual. My dad, looked agitated. Like whatever they're about to tell me they had an argument and mom won.
"Look, if you're pregnant, that's great. Congrats, even though I think you're a little bit old for that. If it's moving, I refuse. Do you know how hard it is to find a new best friend? Especially one with a gender switched name like yours? I honestly got lucky with Ry. I'll be moving out soon anyway so there's no point just please don't make me mov-"
"Andy calm down for like five minutes please! You're not in trouble, we're not moving and I'm definitely not pregnant!"
"Thank god. Then what is this about?"
"Well, I've been to your schools recent parents night and found out some... Interesting information that we will be taking part in."
At this point I'm utterly confused. What is this about?
"What are we taking part in, mom?"
She looks at my dad and back at me.
"Andrew, we will be housing a foreign exchange student your junior year of high school! Isn't that exciting?"
My instinct is to jump up and ask my parents if they forgot we are African American. Or that we could be letting in a murderer. But all I can do is laugh, turn around and walk straight out of my house.