Chapter 9

When I woke up on Saturday morning, I thanked the good Lord for getting me through the events of last night. I had to push the thoughts of Luke ending up on Gabby's locker tally to the back of my head. I check my phone and see a text from my mom.
Hey, Andrew. Your father and I left out for errands. We'll be busy all day so we'll see you by dinner time. We left you guys some money downstairs. Have fun.
I head to the bathroom and brush my teeth and take a quick shower. I get dressed in jogging pants and a t-shirt before heading downstairs. I look on the living room table and see a hundred dollars. That's mighty generous, they know I have summer work money saved up. They probably figured Luke didn't. Right on cue Luke walked downstairs.
"Morning." He yawned.
"Morning. How late were you and Nathan up last night?"
"Like until one, then he decided to head home. He's so hilarious, I understand why you guys are dating."
My breath caught so hard I had to get water from the kitchen. I calmly walk back over to Luke to clarify.
"You got it all wrong, Luke. Me and Nathan are not dating. He, uh, doesn't... Let's just say we bat for the same team."
Luke stared at me for way too long before his eyes catch up with his mind. "Oh, crap. I didn't know."
I shrug. "Eh, it's cool. He's really open about it."
We walk in the kitchen together and I start to giggle.
"What's so funny?" Luke asked.
"You actually thought me and Nathan were dating."
"Why is that so funny?" He didn't seem irritated, just curious.
"I mean, Nathan's a senior, very social, and attractive. Even if he was straight, why would he want to date me?" I laugh and grab cereal down. When I turn to offer Luke some, he's still staring at me.
"Why wouldn't he?"
It's quiet, and we just stare at each other. Just as I'm about to say something, my phone rings. Perfect timing, I think. I answer my phone and see its Ryan.
"I'm at your back door. Have you guys had breakfast yet?"
"We're just about to."
"Don't! It's my treat. And go upstairs and change."
"How do you kno-"
Before I finish, Ryan is knocking on the window waving.
"I'm gonna get dressed." I said to Luke.
"Yeah, me too."
~
After I change, I walk downstairs to see Luke and Ryan outside on the porch. I turn and lock the door before taking in their outfits. Ryan looks amazing, as usual. She had on mom jeans with a lacy bralette and a flannel and black docs. Her hair was up with a bandana, styled kind of like rosy the riveter. Luke, had on his usual black skinny jeans, a plain black tee and a black jean jacket. Black really looks good on him. I didn't really know what to wear so I just put on a white halter top and overall shorts with black socks that ended just below the knee, and my blue jean jacket. I wanted to stop by the thrift store and look for more patches and pins to add to it. I walked over to Ry and Luke.
"Do you have your Polaroid?" Ryan asked.
I took out my small blue camera and held it up. "Got a good amount of pics to last, too."
"Great! Give it to me. I take way better candids. So Luke, what excites you most about this shitty, boring country?" Ryan gets up and starts walking with us.
"Not sure. Really, I'm up for anything."
Me and Ryan stop dead in our tracks.
"Anything?"
Luke nods his head slowly. "Pretty much."
"Oh yeah, this should be fun."
~
"Okay, so should we get breakfast first? I'm starving." I say, as soon as we enter the city.
"Yep, the bakery is just around the corner here, Luke." Ryan said, pointing to our favorite bakery.
As soon as we enter, we smell the familiar vanilla and cinnamon and the sunlight shining through the sunflowers makes us feel even more at home. When we get to the counter, Mandy steps out from the back, carrying a tray of cinnamon rolls.
"Ryan! Andy! How nice to see you guys again!" She runs from behind the counter and hugs us both tight.
"It's good too see you too. Mandy, this is our friend, Luke. He's staying with me and my family for the school year. He's from Australia." I say, gesturing to Luke.
"Luke, nice to meet you, Mandy says, shaking Luke's hand.
"You as well." Luke said.
"Such a gentlemen! Andy, you're quite lucky, huh?" She said, winking at me.
"Eh..."
Thankfully, Ryan spoke up.
"So, uh we'll have our usual, plus the same for Luke." Ryan said, taking out money, which Mandy started shaking her head.
"Oh no. I'm not letting you guys pay! After you helped me with my shifts while I was on maternity leave, for free?! It's on the house!" She said, grabbing three large cinnamon rolls.
"Mandy, it's no problem. Thank you so much."
"Anything for you guys. And since Luke is your friend, anything for him as well." She said smiling, causing Luke to blush.
"If you and Jake ever need a sitter, just let us know!" I said as we left the bakery."
"Will do! Enjoy!"
"She was sweet." Luke said, taking a bite of his cinnamon roll. "But not as sweet as this. This is like the best thing I've ever had!"
Me and Ry laugh. We find a shady table and just watch people walk by. It's a busy day but we don't intend on letting that stop our plans. After breakfast we start to walk down to Jim's, when Ry starts complaining.
"My feet are killing me! Let's take the cable car."
"Ugh fine. Come on, Luke."
"Andy, what's a cable car?"
I point and watch Luke follow my finger to the street car coming our way.
"Oh, so it's like a trolley."
I smiled. "Yeah, basically."
When the cable car stopped our way we bought our tickets and rode down the street. Since me and Ry have been in these hundreds of times, I just focused on Luke. He was smiling, taking in the streets and market as we passed by. It's hard not to like him. Do I like him? I feel like I'm starting to.
When we see Jim's thrift store in the distance, we wait for the cable car to stop. We walk down to Jim's and enter to see Jim opening up random boxes. "Hey, Shakespeare! Benatar! Tall blonde kid I don't know! Welcome. Long time no see huh?"
Me and Ry hug Jim. He always smells like cherry cigars, but it's a familiar smell. "How's business?"
"Not too shabby. Apparently, vintage is coming back. So, who's boyfriend is blondie over here?"
Luke awkwardly waved. "I'm Luke, I stay with Andy."
Jim leaned into me." Do your parents know?" He whispered.
"Yes Jim. I'm not an idiot!" I whisper back.
"Okay, good! Cause I hate keeping secrets. Now what can I do for you ladies?"
"Do you have any new Pat merch?" Ryan asked. "Check the back, near the 'B' section." Ry went off to look for even more Pat Benatar she didn't need.
"And for Shakespeare?"
"Do you have any new books?"
"Sorry, sweetheart. You've read every one in here, and no ones dropped anything off yet. But, good news. I got some new pins and patches for you. Take a look." Jim went in the back. While we waited, Luke took in what he said. "Have you really read every book in here?" He asked, gesturing to the bookcase in the side of the store.
"Yeah. I love reading. And writing . That's why Jim calls me 'Shakespeare'.
"And Nathan. That's amazing, Andy." Luke said.
Jim came back with a box of patches of pins. "Take a look."
After rummaging through, I found a pride pin, an ghostbusters patch, and a 'save ferris' pin I loved.
Luke looked closely at my jacket. "What's that pin for?" He asked, pointing to my 'free South Africa' pin.
I smile."That's the pin my dad was wearing when he met my mom."
"And that one? Isn't that from Robbers?" He said, looking at my 'you look so cool xxxx' patch. "Yeah, Ryan made it for me."
"I love how each one of these mean something to you." Luke said still observing my jacket. My mouth moves before my brain does. "Pick one for me."
Luke looked up. "What?"
"Pick me out a pin or patch, so I have something of you."
"Really?" Luke seemed surprised.
"Yeah, pick one." I gesture to the box.
"Luke looks through it for a good few minutes before pulling out a large pin and smiling. "I'm surprised your eye didn't catch this Andy." He shows me the pin and I see a double decker bus on it. I smile, remembering how it represents me and Luke's favorite Smith's song.
"I adore it, Luke, thank you so much." I wrap my arms around his neck, then realizing what I did I start to pull back, but then I feel him wrap his arms around my waist. It was a short hug, but so sincere and nice." You're welcome, Drew."
I look up. "Drew?"
"I'm sorry, I meant Andy. I started to say Andrew because everyone already calls you Andy, but you don't like Andrew, so I thought Drew was nice. But If you hate it don't worry about it."
"I actually love it."
"You do?"
"Yeah. No one calls me that, so I like that you do. Only you can call me that though, alright?"
Luke laughs. "Alright."
Ryan runs out with two Pat Benatar shirts and a vintage poster. "As you can see, I'm happy! So, where to next?"
Luke looks at me and smiles. "Anywhere."
Fuck, I definitely like him now.