Chapter 1 - One Step at a Time

The crying woke me up and I sighed deeply, looking over at Islo

The crying woke me up and I sighed deeply, looking over at Islo. He rubbed his eye and smiled at me.

"I'll take him," I murmured and kissed his shoulder.

He nodded, his eyes closing again. I rose from the bed and went to the crib, picking up the disgruntled boy.

"Hey Àlvar, we hear you," I said and bounced him a little.

Àbram stood in the door to the bedroom, ready with a bottle for my little boy. I smiled at him and thanked him, taking the bottle from him and giving it to the boy. He immediately stopped crying and ate very contently. I took him back to bed and sat down. Islo pulled the covers over my legs, looking up at me.

"You're great at this," my husband murmured, looking up at us with heavy eyes.

"He's easy to please. Just feed him, burp him, bathe him and then put him to sleep."

"Like father, like son," Islo snorted and closed his eyes again.

I smiled and then looked back at our son. He was so cute. Fat little arms, legs and cheeks. He already had a lot of hair too and it looked like it was gonna be like mine. He looked a lot like me in general. His skin was the same colour, as were his eyes. He had my nose and lips. He looked like a little clone of me.

And gods, I loved him so much. He was two months old, but I had fallen for him the second I held him the first time. I had held onto him for an hour, just looking at him. This was my son. Islo's and my perfect little boy. Ten toes and fingers and a smile that would almost kill me.

He shied away from the bottle and looked up at me. "All done?" I murmured and smiled down at him. He smiled back, kicking his legs, making the cutest baby sounds.

"Remember rub his back," Islo murmured sleepily and opened his eyes again.

"I know," I said softly and put the boy against my chest, gently running my hand over his back.

"He's eating so well." Islo pulled himself up and ran his hand over Àlvar's head. "Took us ages to get Isla to eat properly."

"Yeah?" I glanced over at him. "Àlvar likes his food. Like me." I chuckled and that made Àlvar kicks his legs and do a series of odd 'ah' sounds.

"Yes, baby, we hear you," Islo said. "And we're proud of you."

I chuckled and then Àlvar burped. I put him down on his back, in between my legs and handed him his cloth. A soft thing he liked touching and looking at. And sticking in his mouth.

"Have you heard anything new?" I asked as I held my hands up for the boy to kick. He loved doing that.

"No, nothing but what Barr has told us. And he seems more interested in talking about his boyfriend with me than anything else." Islo snorted a little and stroked his finger over Àlvar's cheek.