Chapter 9 - Connecting the Spirits

Making it to the temple during summer was so much easier

Making it to the temple during summer was so much easier. No roads were blocked off by snow and we didn't only have few hours of sunlight. It was actually a nice trip. We had the windows rolled down in the doors, cool winds hitting my face.

Pavia was sitting in the back seat, looking like he was enjoying the jazzy rhythms flowing out of the radio. Huck was sleeping, or more like he was dozing off, only to wake up whenever one of his sister's songs came on. The newly made radio station played her loud and often – also because mostly all of her songs were political. I loved listening to her.

"Are we there soon?" Huck asked, looking rather groggy. He took his glasses off to rub his eye.

"Yeah, it's not far now. We'll have to stop soon and then walk a bit. But it's not far. The road is just not for driving closer to the temple," Dy explained after having turned the volume on the radio down.

We stopped by the side of the road, all three cars and got out, the gravel crunching under my shoes.

"Alright, Pavia, you're coming with us. The rest of you, stay behind. We need as few people down there as possible, in case something goes wrong," Dy said, putting her hands on her hips. "I'm going with for protection." She grabbed a rifle from the boot of the car and loaded it with loud clicks. She looked like a total badass and I had to snap out of ogling her. We had serious spirit business to attend to.

Pavia, Dy and I took the short walk down to the old temple. It looked the same. Abandoned and old, but I felt the spiritual energy bubbling up to the surface.

"I feel something," I said and glanced up at Pavia.

"The spiritual connection is strong here," he agreed and nodded.

I went to the shrine I had been laying on the last time I had connected with Quinn. It was as something jumped alive in my stomach. Or maybe my chest? It felt weird but also strangely like coming home. The tattoo in my palm was stinging a bit.

I pulled myself up on the shrine and looked up to find we were not alone. Pavia looked over his shoulder and smiled.

"Karuu," he said softly.

"Pavia," the spirit replied. He looked like Nila and Barr. His skin had the same dark blue shade, and his eyes were black with drops of blue in them. His hair was as black as Barr's as well. He was just as handsome as Barr too.

His eyes swung to me and he touched his forehead, bowing it in the process. I did as well.

"You are Alvina," he said softly. "Nila has spoken fondly of you. As has Àlvar. He sends his love."

"Thank you," I said, a lump growing in my throat.

"Nila sent me. She thought I'd be a better guide to what you're looking for, as I have spent more time in this realm than any of the other spirits. With the exception of Barr."