Chapter 4: Augustine - Onset of an Avalanche

We were sitting in the lobby waiting for the Sheriff to call our names. Aunt Laura had to take a leave from work so that we could go to the police station. I didn't want to come here. I was worn down by school and cheer training, and I had to keep my eyes from shutting. Last night's incident kept me awake all night. 

An officer came out of the Sheriff's cabin. "Ms. Augustine Miller and Ms. Laura Wilson," he called out our names looking for us.

I raised my hand and got up. "That would be us," I said.

"Yes. Go right inside," he said showing us towards the cabin. Aunt Laura followed me inside.

The Sheriff sat on his chair. He was a man in his 40s. Standing next to him was the officer who came last night in the woods. 

I looked at them and smiled. "Good aftern—" 

"Please sit down. And yes, good afternoon," the Sheriff said.  He continued after we settled down, "Would you like to have tea or perhaps, coffee? Anything?" We declined his offer. The Sheriff sighed. 

"Well, I want to have a cup of tea, and it would be rude of me to have it when you don't wanna. So, you are obliged to drink." Before we could say anything, he pressed a button on his telephone and said," Bring three cups of tea, will ya." 

"Oh! Where are our manners Sherman?" he said looking at the officer. "I am sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. Hectic day and quite hot in here too," the Sheriff continued pulling his collar away from his fat neck. "My name is Sheriff Anderson and this here is officer Sherman. So, which one of you is Ms. Agustaaiin Miller?" Yup, he pronounced my name like that. 

I sucked my lower lip. "I am Augus-teen Miller," I said slowly with emphasis on my first name. 

"Sherman told me about your parents. He has met you before. Hasn't he?" I nodded.

"Sherman here told me about last night. So, Ms. Augustaaiin, will you narrate the entire event to us again?" 

"Sure," I said. "Us friends had decided to spend the night in the woods. The one — behind the mall." He nodded. " We do that every year on the first day of school or on some other occasions. It has sort of become a tradition. We have familiarized ourselves with the woods over the course of the years, and we are quite comfortable to go in there."

There was a knock on the door. "Come in," said Sheriff Anderson. A lady entered with a tray in her hand. She gave each of us a cup of tea and left.

The Sheriff put three spoons of sugar in his cup. I skipped it while Aunt Laura took one. I sipped the tea and looked at the Sheriff lift his cup and pour some tea into the saucer. He blew some air over it and drank making a loud slurping sound. "Please continue," he said looking at me. So, I sipped again. "No... I meant with the story." 

"Oh, right!" I said.

"We were playing a game in which each individual had to find their hidden sleeping bags with the help of hints and bring it back to the camp. Each of us was given a flashlight and a whistle in case of an emergency. Also, we had our phones and the signal was quite fair in the woods. I cracked my hint and found out that my bag was near the lake. While heading towards the lake, I sensed that I was being watched."

"When I neared the lake a man pounced on me and held me tightly with his arms around my waist. I screamed. I tried to free myself, but he had a good grasp on me. He lifted me up and tried to take me somewhere. I managed to punch him, and he threw me to the ground. I shone my flashlight on him, and he stared at me, grinned, and ran away towards the lake before my friends found me."

"I was bruised from falling on the ground, and we called 911..... Immediately," I said glancing at Aunt Laura. I couldn't tell her that I was not supportive of calling the cops. I enjoy my freedom and I will do everything to protect it.