Chapter 8 - Leon

The island is like nothing I've ever seen before. It is split into four quarters, each completely different.

In one section are mountains covered in a blanket of snow. The mountains make a bowl shape and in the center is a frozen lake. I swear I can see marks where people have been ice skating.

Next, in a clockwise direction, is a forest which just glowed from healthiness. There is also a meadow with bright green grass, flowers sprouting from everywhere and a small river running through, the top and end disappearing into the trees.

Then the next quarter the land was scorched. Several bare trees stood alone but the earth was burnt and cracked showing no signs of life. Towards the edge of the section, where it ends at the sea, is a long stretch of sand, making either a beach or a desert.

Finally, in the last section are rising poles coming out from the ground around the edge of the quarter. There is a line of electricity running in between each pole, acting as a border. I can't see inside as a roof of electricity covers the quarter.

In the center of the circular island is a small building. The building doesn't have any extra floors as far as I can see. The walls and roof are smooth silver metal. I can see a few windows and a large metal door with several locks.

The plane lands on a runway flying a bit before completely stopping. Guy instructs us to each carry out our books but not to let them touch.

I pick up my book cautiously. It looks like it's going to fall apart as soon as I touch it. As I pick it up it feels...strange. I have a sudden urge to open it right now. Ignoring the feeling, I walk down the steps off the plane.

Guy is already unbolting the door, he looks like he is in a hurry to get inside. As soon as the door opens he ushers us inside. Guy constantly looks around as if expecting an attack at any moment. Only when we are all inside and he has locked the door does he relax.

The room we have entered is mostly bare except for some shelves on the wall crammed with books and four chairs set around a table in the center if the room. The four chairs look old and comfy. Each was different.

One chair's legs separated and disappeared into the floorboards like roots of a tree. Vines crawled up one side of the chair, wrapping over the arm and underneath the seat. The seat was completely covered in moss, it looked so soft I almost sat on it. The back of the chair was a big slab of rock that looked impossible to move.

Opposite the 'earth' chair was a completely different chair. This chair was transparent and inside you could see light and electricity swimming around. On the arm was a metal panel with lots of buttons which made me wonder what they were for.

Next, in between the two chairs, was an ice chair. The arms and seat of the chair was smooth, glistening ice while the back of the chair rose in jagged ice spikes. Each different sizes with the middle spike being the tallest. The chair looked fit for ice royalty.

Finally, opposite the ice chair was a chair made out of ashes. Somehow the ashes stuck together forming a seat and arms for the chair. The back used to be a chair but it had been burnt black, it's edges were melting away. The legs of the chair were on fire, or was the legs actual fire? I didn't know but the chair seemed to be hovering over the flames.

On the table was engraved lines and letters. As I got closer I realised that it was a compass. The North pointed to the ice chair, the East pointed to the earth chair, the South pointed to the fire chair and the West pointed to the electric chair.

"Sit down." Guy constructed. We all hesitated before choosing our seats. Zara sat in the North chair, James at East, Talia at West and I sat in the South chair. We looked at each other, there was that feeling again - the feeling of familiarity. I just coudn't shake the feeling that this had happened before.

"Each of the four Holders are different." Guy started explaining. He motioned to the engravings on the table. "There is North" He looked at Zara "East" His look passed to James "South" His eyes bore into me "and West." He finished with a look to Talia.

"Each of the four Holders have... special abilities."
"What like magic?" Talia asked raising an eyebrow.
"No not magic." Guy answered. "I can't explain. You must read the books." Everyone stared down at their book but no one dared to open it.

"Well go on then." Guy said impatiently. Slowly I lifted the cover of the book. I brushed away some soot off the first page revealing one word.
"Fire." I breathed not sure whether I meant to speak aloud or not.
"Earth." James said quietly.
"Electricity?" Talia said it almost as a question.
"Ice." Zara finished.

I looked at Zara and she glanced at me. Ice. It fit with that ice monster. It fit with why that sword broke. Everything was finally starting to make sense.

"First you read." Guy commanded. "Then you begin training."