9

-

Memories are supposed to be comforting,
So how come mine is haunting?
I'm trying to escape from my past,
But the memories keep coming.

-

We were in Professor Lupins' class, waiting for him to reveal today's mystery.
Pansy, Blaise & I stood at the back of the class, not wanting attention. I sighed and rested my head against the wall And slowly closed my eyes.

"Elaine are you okay?" Pansy asked concerned, eyeing my face.
I rubbed my eyes and yawned before looking at her.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I lied, in fact, I wasn't okay.
I hadn't been sleeping well, every time I closed my eyes memories from Azkaban would replay.

"You seem very tired El," Blaise said and shared a concerned look with Pansy, I smiled at the nickname.
"I am" I admitted and looked down. Before I could get another word in Lupin spoke up.

"Intriguing, isn't it? Would anyone like to venture a guess, as to what is inside?" He asked excitedly as he revealed a.. closet?
The closet was out of wood with an old rusty mirror.

"That's a boggart, that is." A boy from Gryffindor spoke. I glanced at the boy, impressed at his knowledge.
"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" Lupin asked again.
"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so-" Hermione began but quickly stopped herself when she realized no one was interested.

"So terrifying, yes, yes, yes..." Lupin continued. Hermione gave a small embarrassed smile and stepped back again.
I smiled at her, reassuring her I was listening.

"Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands, please. After me. Riddikulus!"
Lupin said loudly so everyone could hear. The class began repeating his words.
"Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen: Riddikulus!" He yelled louder.
"Riddikulus!" They yelled. I hesitated at first but gave in. Lupin was indeed a very good teacher.

Suddenly a familiar blonde caught my attention.
"This class is ridiculous!" He spat, which his mates agreed with. I rolled my eyes at his attitude and tried to keep focus, but I just couldn't.

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing." Lupin praised.

"Let me explain. Uh... Neville, would you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy. Come on. Come on." Lupin said and smiled at the clumsy boy. Neville gulped but eventually stepped forward.

"Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Lupin asked intrigued.
"Professor Snape" Neville said quietly, he looked uneasy.

"Sorry?" Lupin asked again, checking to see If he had heard him correctly.
"Professor Snape" Neville answered again, this time a little louder.

"Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother?" Lupin asked the boy.
"Y-Yes but I don't want that boggart to turn into her, either" Neville said, making some of the class giggle.

"No... it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind" Lupin explained with a polite smile.

"She carries a red handbag..." Neville began but was quickly interrupted.
"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe... here's what I want you to do. Imagine Professor Snape in your grandmother's clothes. Can you do that?" Lupin asked. Neville nodded nervously.

"Yes. Wand at the ready. One, two, three. Think, Neville, think!" Lupin said loudly. Snape emerged from the old closet, making a few students step back. Neville gulped at the tall man.

"Riddikulus!" Neville yelled, had done it. There he was, Snape was wearing Neville's grandmas' clothes.
The whole class laughed relieved at the once scary man. Neville looked relieved.

"Wonderful, Neville, wonderful! Incredible! Okay... to the back, Neville. Everyone, form a line!" Lupin yelled.
We formed a line, I was behind Parvati, therefor my turn was next.

"Come on Elaine, don't be shy," Lupin said as I stepped forward. I looked back at Pansy who gave me to reassuring thumbs-up, I shyly smiled before turning back to Lupin.

"Now, what is your biggest fear?" He asked as he looked me deep in the eyes. He almost looked sympathetically at me, as if he knew something I didn't.
I bit my bottom lip trying to think of my biggest fear, but truth was, I had no idea. I had experienced so much trauma since birth, that I couldn't comprehend all the memories.

"I- I don't know sir" I answered as I looked down. Suddenly the cold floor had become very interesting.
"We will see then" Lupin exclaimed and smiled.

The closet began to shake, I looked at lupin who patted my shoulder comfortingly.
I was nervously fidgeting with my fingers, scared of the outcome.

Suddenly the closet opened and pushed out... me? I landed hard on the cold floor but quickly turned around.
My thin fragile body was covered with bruises, my nose was bleeding, and I was wearing my prisoner uniform.
I knew what this was.  The class looked horrified at me, and I began to tear up.

The closet pushed out another person, but this time it wasn't me. It was one of the guards from Azkaban, to be exact the worst one. He walked out and we locked eyes.

"Did you really think you could escape this easily?" The guard asked with a smug smirk on his face.
I crawled backwards in my cell trying to get away from him, but it was no use. He pulled me off the floor and held me up against the cold wall. Slowly he wrapped his strong fingers around my neck, at first he pressed lightly but soon full-on choked me. I was gasping for air, begging him to stop.
I kicked him in the groin making him fall on his knees, giving me a chance to escape.
"Crucio!"

I was pulled back to reality when lupin yelled.
"Elaine! Come on!" He yelled desperately.

"Riddikulus!" I yelled angrily at the boggart.
The boggart quickly turned back to its normal form. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I was mad, how could they treat a child like that? And why me? Draco was right, this class was ridiculous.

"That's enough for today! Class dismissed!" Lupin yelled.
I looked around the class searching for Pansy but my eyes met some familiar grey ones instead. He looked shocked at me, almost afraid.

Lupin rubbed my shoulder trying to comfort me, but I quickly shrugged him off.
"Don't!" I said before rushing out the door.

-