7

-

I am too old to fight,
too young to love.
In a way, I'm just existing,
waiting to be enough.

-

A couple of weeks quickly went by.
I hadn't talked to Draco or the golden trio much. Draco would occasionally make snobby comments or call me the nickname "tiny". The golden trio seemed to be occupied all the time, and it wasn't exactly like Harry would want to talk to me again.

Overall I was enjoying my time at Hogwarts and enjoying being a normal teenager for once.
I was learning all sorts of new stuff, both schoolwork but also in my spare time.
I remember the first time I heard real music.

~

"Elaine.. have you never heard music before?" Pansy asked shocked. I giggled a little at her expression, it wasn't like I could just turn up the radio in Azkaban.

"No I haven't," I said and looked down. I wasn't embarrassed - more sad of what I had been missing out on.

"Well, you have to listen to this!" She exclaimed as she pulled out a radio from under her bed.
I studied the radio closely, I had never seen one in real life before.

Pansy fumbled with some buttons resulting in the radio making a weird squeaking noise. I flinched at the sound, if this was what music was then I definitely didn't wanna hear more.

Suddenly a song came on.
"See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I'll wait for you
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails, she makes me wait
And I wait without you
With or without you, with or without you."
The manly voice sang.

Tears silently fell down my eyes. It was beautiful. Hearing something so pleasing and emotional, yet calming and comforting was a whole new experience for me.

"Are you crying?" She asked and turned down the radio a bit.

"No don't turn down!" I said and snatched her hand away. She smiled at me and we just sat and enjoyed the music together.

I had listened to that song on repeat every day since.

~

"Elaine? Wake up!" Pansy said and gently nudged me in the shoulder.
We were in Snape's class and apparently I had drifted off.

"Oh sorry! Did I miss anything?" I whispered.
Pansy awkwardly looked at me then at Snape.
Everyone was looking at us, it was quite embarrassing.

"Perhaps you could explain why you fell asleep in the middle of my class?" Snape asked in his monotone voice.

I looked at him with wide eyes and gulped.
"I'm sorry.. I didn't get much sleep last night.." I admitted.

The truth was I hadn't gotten much sleep at all these past few weeks.
My nightmares had become more vivid and frequent, and I would almost always wake up completely out of it.

"I see... take this as a warning," Snape said and walked away.
I was surprised at his response, but maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

"Aww, you didn't sleep well?" Draco mocked sarcastically behind me.

"Malfoy please stop. I'm not in the mood today!" I said and rolled my eyes at his childish behavior.

"You never are," he said quietly and looked down at his hands.
He brushed his thumb lightly against his ring, he looked uneasy.

"What was that?" I asked again clearly annoyed.

"Nothing.." he mumbled so only I could hear.

"That's what I thought.."

-