Chapter 8

I make my way down the halls to first period as happy as ever. After my encounter with Harry last night, I couldn't fall asleep due to the nonstop butterflies fluttering in my chest. He made me feel wanted and as if I'm not alone anymore. Despite his dangerous episodes, there's more good in him than bad, and people need to realize that.

I enter the classroom, sitting next to Carter.

"Mornin, Trin. How're you?" She cheerfully greets me.

"I'm doing great! And you?" I reply.

"Perfect." She states, turning her attention to the stacks of papers on her desk.

"I forgot to ask you earlier, but how does Isaac know my dad?" I ask. I found it odd that he already knew of him, since I never introduced them.

For a split second, her eyes widen. However she quickly recovers herself. Carter tilts her head slowly in hesitation.

"Um, just some stuff with Harry. Eventually the cops got involved and I think your dad was a part of it." She says; biting her lip.

"What happened?" I ask nosily. Something with Harry? It would make sense as to why Isaac despises him so much.

"I'm not really sure." She lies. Why is she lying? Is it really that bad?

"C'mon, please tell me."

She takes a deep breath, dropping her pen onto her book. She turns her body towards me.

"Isaac is just... I don't know. For some reason he just hates Harry. He's filed reports, that he's made up for the most part, and your dad just got to know him through that I guess. Harry never got into serious trouble though, there's a reason why he acts the way he does and I think the police are considerate of that..."

"You know why?" I ask excitedly.

"Not exactly, I've just heard rumors." The bell rings, signaling the start of class. "Hurry, sit. Mr. Kemp's here." She shoos me away with a flick of her hand. My shoulders slump down in frustration, thinking I was finally going to get some answers.

.

.

.

"Can I ask you something?" I look up at Harry, tightening my grip around my backpack.

"Shoot." He smiles.

"Well, I—"

I stop in the middle of my sentence, as I watch Isaac pass us in the hallway. He stares at Harry; a strained look on his face. Harry tilts his chin upward in confidence. And every step I took towards Isaac added to the mounting anxiety building inside me.

As we pass him, he leans forward, "Glad you chose the psycho as a friend, Trin." Isaac spits under his breath, walking straight past us. I whip my head around to look at him and Harry does as well.

I turn to Harry with furrowed brows, "Why does he always give you a hard time?"

He pauses, looking away from me. He draws in a deep breath, leaning against the lockers with exasperation. "Not sure."

"Oh." I say under my breath. I've learned nothing from each question I ask, so I decide to just let it go.

"So, what are you doing tonight?" He asks cheekily, switching the subject.

"I was just planning on staying home." I explain nonchalantly.

"Figures." He jokes. I punch his arm playfully, rolling my eyes. "Let's do something. Pick you up at 7?"