Chapter 2

At 6:30 AM, I am woken up by the ringing clamor of my alarm clock. I rub my weary eyes with the palms of my hands, and grudgingly drag myself out of bed. I make my way to the bathroom, deciding to leave my hair down in long, natural waves. I brush my teeth, and put on makeup-my usual sharp eyeliner.

I grasp the door handle and open it, entering my room. I put on the clothes I laid out yesterday, and sling my backpack over my shoulders.

"Trinity, you're running late, darling." My dad impatiently shouts from below. I immediately cringe at the sound of his voice.

I close my bedroom door and bound down the stairs. Entering the kitchen, my dad turns his head to look at me, his body still facing the stove. He whips back around after noticing me and continues to make breakfast. The tension in the air is thick as neither of us talk for a few long minutes.

I hesitantly decide to break the everlasting stiffness lingering between us.

"Uh, I don't have a car... So um, I need a ride to school..." I comment under my breath, slowly.

I see his body tense as he sighs loudly. He turns towards me with his eyes closed. Opening them, he smiles, "Of course." He brings himself forward, handing me a plate of steaming eggs and bacon.

"Thanks," I mutter softly. "By the way... Shower's not working. I don't know if you knew or not." I say with a noncommittal tone.

"Yes, I know. I was going to tell you, but you seemed like you wanted to be alone last night. I chose to not bother you. Figured you needed the space." He shrugs, "You can use the one on the left of your room."

"Yeah, thanks." I say rolling my eyes-my voice laced with sarcasm. I have a right to be mad at him; why am I trying to be nice? I shake my head, ridding my mind of the sympathetic thoughts circling.

.
.
.

"Name?" The middle-aged woman asks, lifting her eyes from being glued to her computer, pursing her white lips. Sandy blonde hair falls just above her shoulders with large pearl earrings and a matching necklace that outlines her face.

"Trinity. Trinity Blackwell."

She rolls her chair to another desk, flipping through stacks of papers.

"Blackwell... Blackwell. Ah, here you are!" She hands me my schedule with perfectly manicured nails and a huge smile. I mumble a quick thank you, and stumble out of the office.

The bell rings, signaling the start of class. I look at my schedule, noting that my first period is English with Mr. Kemp. I fold the schedule and tuck it into my back pocket. In front of room 208, I open the heavy door. Dozens of students rapidly flick their heads up toward me as I awkwardly step in.

"Ah, you must be Trinity, no?" the man at the front of the room questions, who I assume to be Mr. Kemp.

"Yes, that's me."

"Okay then, Miss Blackwell, you can sit back there next to... Hm, Carter."

He points to a freckled, black-haired girl who gives me a tiny wave and a crooked, half-smile. I make my way to my seat and sitting down, I turn my head to the girl.

"Hiya, I'm Carter. Pleasure to meet you," she leans over and whispers. "By the way, I'm totally in love with your name; I've never heard it before. Welcome to Gray Canyon High." She winks, and I return a meek smile.

The period flies by quickly, as I get to know her more. She's lived here all her life, and has a boyfriend named Isaac.

"Hey, Trin," Carter pokes at me, "sit with us at lunch, yeah?" I readily accept her offer, appreciative of the kind gesture.