Chapter 14

(See end of chapter for an IMPORTANT author's note!)

-

You know when you're watching someone do something so abrupt and unexpected, that you can physically feel the shock resolve in your limbs? And when that person does or says something that is so out of their vocabulary; it catches you completely off guard? And the earth stops spinning and it takes you a milenia to process what exactly just happened there.

Most humans have the natural tendency to stand by. Watching is much less problematic than actually acting out. And so as I watched Carter kiss this light-haired boy, I can't help but go rigid.

I underestimated Carter, thinking she was an innocent, bubbly schoolgirl who wouldn't hurt a fly.

And then there was someone coming, knocking over drinks and stomping through the mangle of idling teens. On instinct, my hand clutches my chest and I feel the prominent pounding of my heartbeat. I'm frozen in place, everything's happening at once.

At first, everyone was just amused and slightly curious when Carter so willingly accepted the dare. But now as everyones eyes flit to a furious Isaac, who's made an incredible appearance at such a wrong time, eyes grow to the size of coins.

I push through the crowd of people, trying to get a better look at the commotion, but find no luck. I look through the spaces in between each head to watch what's happening. Frustrated and angry, I begin to launch myself at people who are blockading my view.

Isaac storms into the room positively livid. He wastes no time, and the next thing I know Axel is on the floor with a bloody nose and Carter is screaming, trying to pull Isaac off him.

"How dare you touch her." Each word is followed by another punch that causes blood to smear over-well over everything. "I'll kill you, you bastard!"

Carter is yelling and sobbing, trying to get a grip on Isaac, even beating on his back if that's what it will take. However her attempts prove futile. Isaac sends his fist flying into Axel's nose repeatedly, adding more blood to his knuckles each hit.

"Get off of him!" Carter shrieks. "Get off!"

Isaac jerks his arm back roughly, trying to shove Carter off of him. He swings hard, hitting her temple and the blow pushes her to the ground. He turns and his livid eyes are immediately replaced with guilt. His entire body softens, knowing he's screwed up.

Finally breaking through the barricade, I hurriedly rush over to Carter, helping her up.

"Carter... I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." He yells over the noise, eyes wide with shock and sensitivity.

"Save it. You're insane. Absolutely screwed up in the head, Isaac." She yells. "You're no better than Harry!"

Carter runs to me and I wind my arms around her and lead her out of the room. People are giving us weird looks as I repeatedly open and close doors in an attempt to find an empty room. After a few tries, I set her on the bed and hug her tight. By now, she has lost it, and tears are streaming down her freckled face.

I, however, am completely stunned by Carter's remark about Harry. He seems to be a popular topic for everyone in this town. And it makes me indescribably sad when people talk about him. Because each time someone says his name, rude, disgusting words leave their mouths afterward. And I can't help but be angry at anyone who says these things about Harry, without even listening to one thing he has to say.

I keep my fury to myself, knowing it's the best thing to do at the moment.

"He's gonna kill me." She cries, rocking back and forth. "He's gonna kill me."