ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴄ | ᴋᴇɴᴍᴀ

NOTES: Italicized sections are flashbacks!!! Happy reading!

WARNINGS: N/A

WORD COUNT: 1901

~ ~ ~

Kenma sighed, throwing his backpack onto the floor. Every school day had felt long, but today felt like it lasted a million years.

He had been too invested in a new video game and had tripped on the way to school, getting his uniform pants dirty in the process, so it was already a horrible morning. Then, his 1st period teacher announced a pop quiz on English - his least favorite subject. (He already speaks Japanese, and he never plans on visiting America, so why does he need to learn English??) Kuroo had taken his PSP during lunch and forced him to talk and actually eat his food, so lunch was definitely a drag. Then, when the school day was finally over, he had to go to volleyball practice, which Coach Nekomata extended an extra two hours because they were going to Nationals next week...

Yup, definitely a long day...

But there was one thing he looked forward to...

He plopped himself into his gaming chair and powered on his PC, taking a deep breath as the loading screen appeared. Putting his headset on, he opened up Discord, only to smile when he got the notification he had been looking forward to all day.

mushii_mochii is playing Minecraft, join party?

His heart skipped in anticipation as he requested to join your game, and his smile widened when you accepted almost immediately. He let out a small huff before he unmuted himself.

"Hey."

"Kenmaaaa!!! You're finally here!"

There it was. That voice. 

That beautiful voice.

The one that made his heart soar. That made his stomach flutter, and his head swarm with dizziness. It made his face heat up, and made him feel safe.

Kenma wasn't sure how exactly it got to this. He had made it a point to never befriend people on the internet. After all, they're never really who they say they are. People don't act the same way they would in real life. 

But something about her was different. Kenma couldn't quite place it, but from the moment he heard her speak, he felt as if he had known her his entire life.

It had started when they had been placed on the same team in the Skywars mini game on Minecraft. They had been talking through chat, and Kenma was surprised to find himself not annoyed with her after five minutes. Eventually, she typed, "Typing takes too long, do you have Discord?"

Soon after that, they had made plans to play together the next day, and then the day after that... Eventually it became so routine that they didn't even make plans, and just showed up as soon as they could. Kenma would find himself playing with her all hours of the night. He never got bored of her, she certainly wasn't a boring person.

 She was almost the exact opposite of Kenma. She seemed bubbly and talkative, and got bored with games quicker then Kenma did. She didn't have many fancy consoles or that many games, but he was happy to play the few that she did have. 

After about five months, Kenma realized something.

He had fallen in love.

He loved the way she laughed, he loved her corny jokes, he loved her little cheers whenever they won a game, and he loved that she was always there for him. But to his devastation, Kenma realized something else. 

He knew nothing about her. 

How could he be in love with someone who he didn't know anything about? How could he be in love with just a voice?