part 10. [end]

Returning to the city a week before the holiday break ends always puts you into a sad mood since you have to leave your family and now it makes you feel anxious because you can't possibly hide from Jaehyun until graduation. Minkyung tells you that he and his friends will be out of town for a few days and she invites you over to hang out. Jungwoo couldn't come because he and his parents visited his older sister's family.

"As promised," You said after greeting Minkyung as she opened the front gate, "Kimchi made by yours truly using my mom's pepper paste made from our farm's chili peppers."

It was a sizable container, good for a family of 5 for two weeks at most. Minkyung squeals as she accepts it, "Thank you! I'm so excited to try it out. We're definitely eating this for dinner later."

Her house had almost the same layout as Mark's house, but had a more contemporary interior.

"Oh my god," You gasp, approaching the photo wall and pointing at a portrait of two children as you unwrapped the scarf from your neck, "You're so cute!"

"Our mother was obsessed with making us match clothes before." She sighs, stopping beside you.

"Wow, you two looked really identical."

Minkyung scoffs, "Yeah, thank god we don't anymore."

Before she turns to lead you to the kitchen, you swear you caught a frown form on her face.

You two had a baking agenda today ever since you found out she loved to bake with her mother when she was younger but never got to do it again since her mother got busy with work. She still bakes from time to time but doesn't find it as fun when someone else is around.

The kitchen island had all the ingredients laid out and the oven had preheated. You two only talked about making cookies and cupcakes, but it looked like there were enough to make cake and bread.

Minkyung puts the kimchi inside their fridge and you wait for her in front of the ingredients, "So how do we go about this?"

"Let's do a headstart on cupcakes first so they can cool down before we get to decorate them."

It feels like a nice change to be hanging out with another girl. You love Jungwoo, but there are things you can't say or do with him because it felt too awkward. Also, compared to you, he has other friends he likes to hang out with while you can count all yours with one hand. Minkyung was a lot bubblier once you got to know her. She always kept to herself in school and seemed so chic and mysterious, but was just as eccentric and clumsy as Jungwoo. It was a weird way to start a friendship, sharing the same experiences with Jaehyun, but you're really glad you've become friends with her.

A couple of hours into baking, you took charge of icing the last couple of cupcakes while Minkyung tries a bite of the experimental cookies you made with cinnamon and marshmallows.

"Is it good?" You place the cupcake you finished icing on the cake rack.

She walks over to you to feed you a piece, "Like a starbucks drink. It's not bad, no?"

It did taste like a starbucks drink made into a cookie, but you liked it. "I think it's okay. Nothing beats your chocolate chip, though. I can't wait to go back home and make it for my siblings. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I promise to take it to my grave."

"Tell me what they think of it." Both of you pause when you hear the car gates creaking open. She looks at you, clearly confused, "Did my mom come home early?"

You put the piping bag down and went to wash your hands in the sink of stray icing as she bounds towards the foyer. Minkyung talks fondly of her mom and mentions how she wanted to meet you. You dry your hands on the apron before taking it off, placing on the counter and following after her.