18 Days Until

Rob seemed to be happy, too happy. There was something happening that he wasn't telling me, and that scared me. I was running out of excuses to blow off his date nights, romantic walks, and expensive dinners.

It wasn't that I didn't like Rob. Well, not just that. I wanted to tell him that I was already in love, that my heart was no longer mine to give.

But I couldn't, so he was there. At every turn, he was there, demanding attention. I almost felt sorry for him, in a way. I turned the corner, and he was there. For once, he wasn't looking at me.

He'd found a group of friends soon enough. Of course, he had. It seemed like everything was getting handed to him and he knew it. I knew I'd had enough in my life given to me by the Alams, but it hadn't been instantaneous. Not like Rob's was.

I looked away before he could catch me looking at him. The last thing I needed to do was lead him on. He was smitten enough as it was.

I needed someone who would reliably in my corner. I needed someone to tell me about the latest alien romance they'd read. I missed the days when I was about to get married to Corey.

I found them in the hall, and they met my eyes.

"Guess you got out of having to marry me, huh?"

"I'd go back to you in a heartbeat."

"Well, you could've turned him down."

I shook my hand. "You don't get it."

"I get more than you think, Sonnet. I'm just not a snitch."

"I—"

"You don't need to say anything, Sonnet. You know me, I'm quiet. I'd never tell anyone."

"I need a friend like you, Corey."

They nodded. "I know you do."

"Do you want to have lunch with me?"

"I'm probably going to read the whole time."

"Still."

"I'd love to have lunch with you, Sonnet."

"Thank you," I whispered. They nodded like it was nothing. It was everything.

I took a deep breath.

I needed to do something, anything to stop myself from dwelling on it. I need T to come save me. I would need to wait, and trust. I trusted her with my life, but it was an impatient sort of trust.

I kept my head down, going to class. Being the perfect student. I would be the perfect student, of course.

I did work mindlessly, like the robots they seemed to have been designed for. I preferred being in my head when my thoughts were off. I moved between classes, like a dancer in a music box moved in a circle.

I found Corey for lunch. They looked up at me. Then, they looked back down at their book.

"Do you trust him?"

"Who? Rob?"

"Yeah, him."

"No."

"You shouldn't."

"What do you know about him?"

"Rumors travel fast. He's got connections with the government. How do you get those connections?"

"Turn someone in."

"By the looks of it, he probably burned multiple people. Or one very important person."